Amplifier + My consumer rights

T1berious

Established Member
Reaction score
Hmmm....

I could be wrong but this sounds fishy to me. I'll leave the vendors anon for the moment.

I'm trying to home demo some Amps. I think we've all played the game of one has to pretty much buy the amp for a home demo.

So I went down this route with a vendor.

I got a NAD C399 in tried it, it didn't really work for me. So I wanted to try a Rotel 1592 Mk II. I'm told by the Vendor that its a special order etc... Now he mentions in the event of me sending it back it will be an exchange rather than a refund....

How can this be anything but a contradiction to your Statuary rights?

Anyway, it now has to go back as (to my mind) it has a fault. I've been hit by a barrage of "they all do that Sir" which is frankly nonsense, as the amp had been highly reviewed and if its relay clicking randomly someone would have mention it.

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts

Things get a bit sticky when you mention special order. Not something he's going to shift soon.

If it's faulty within a short time you have the right to send it back, end of!

Have you asked other forum members with the unit specifically if it exhibits the same thing you are seeing?

I'm no expert but I'm guessing they are trying to suggest 'special order' is the same as custom made and I think in that instance they don't have to offer refunds if you change your mind. My feeling would be they are in the wrong, assuming it's a regular amp with no unusual modifications that you have specifically requested. This of course only applies to distance selling. If you bought in store then the faulty aspect is your only chance.

It was bought in store, I'll see if I can replicate the issue and record it.

Things get a bit sticky when you mention special order. Not something he's going to shift soon.

If it's faulty within a short time you have the right to send it back, end of!

Have you asked other forum members with the unit specifically if it exhibits the same thing you are seeing?
Yup, I have, I saw a post on a different forum similar issue, resolved by a different unit.

Clicking aside what was it about the C399 that didn't 'really work for' you'?

Here you go

It sounded a bit "bright" compared to my Audiolab 8000S. It did everything I needed it to do but I just didn't gel with it.

So the opening bars to "Hey Laura" were wince inducing, kind of my demo go to for how does this handle the high stuff?

So off it went.

Well, it's not broken and works as advertised, so I don't think you have any statutory rights that apply.

Amazon pioneered the "no questions asked" returns policy and many have followed to compete. It was necessary to make consumers trust online buying, but it's not required under any consumer rights laws.

I presume they will never have you as a customer again, and that their model will eventually lose them more than it gains, but you were not subject to any high-pressures sales techniques and the amplifier works. You just don't like it. Unfortunately I don't think there is much you can do.

Just need to add that I went back to the dealer today, ran the amp and the issues I was experiencing were gone (typical).

They used the same streamer as I did (different cable) and not a peep. Silent as a very quiet thing.

So the issue, I think was the streamer. I've set up the Amp in my listening room, also have a Node 2i in there and the last 3 hours have been free of any random clicks.

Phew!

I guess the initial "they all do that Sir" just got my back up. Fortunately the guy I spoke to today was a bit more adept at dealing with humans and just asked me to pop down and let's see whats going on.

Mental note:

It can sometimes be the source that needs a kick and I should have powered down the lot while trying to resolve the issue. My bad. Lessons learned.

However, in future, if I can't demo something on site I think I'll just move to a vendor that has it available. Another lesson learned.

I guess I was also burned by an issue with another amp a while back which thankfully reproduced the issue back at the shop so there was no issue getting a refund.

Well, it's not broken and works as advertised, so I don't think you have any statutory rights that apply.

Amazon pioneered the "no questions asked" returns policy and many have followed to compete. It was necessary to make consumers trust online buying, but it's not required under any consumer rights laws.

I presume they will never have you as a customer again, and that their model will eventually lose them more than it gains, but you were not subject to any high-pressures sales techniques and the amplifier works. You just don't like it. Unfortunately I don't think there is much you can do.

Not so sure about that, the relay click I experienced was apparent during playback and it would drive anyone mental. Not sure how that would equate to working?

Thankfully it's been resolved. The Dealer was willing to exchange it which I guess was fair as its not an item they normally stock.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom