Amplifier knobs have no affect?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Ciaran45, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Ciaran45

Ciaran45
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just purchased a set of JBL LSR30X Speakers, and connected them to an Onkyo A-9010 amplifier, which I then connected to my phone.
    The speakers are connected to the amp using two XLR to RCA cables, and the amplifier is connected to my phone using a 2x RCA to 3.5mm jack.
    When I am listening to music, turning the volume, bass, treble, and balance knobs has zero affect on the audio.
    Am I missing something? Is it because I'm not using the right connections? Any help would be appreciated, thank you.
    Ciaran.

2. Ugg10

Ugg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    So you have a stereo amp and a pair of powered active speakers? What output on the amp do you have the speakers plugged into? If it is the line out then the amp controls will do nothing, this is a fixed output not a preamp output. With the Onkyo you would usually use passive speakers and with the jbl’s you would normally use a preamp. I don’t think there is a way of controlling the volume of the speakers with your amp. Sorry. You will have to control the speakers with the volume knobs on the back.

The volume on the phone may work though, have you tried that.

Hope this helps.

3. Ciaran45

Ciaran45
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The speakers are plugged into the line out yes. If I put a preamp between the amp and the speakers do you think this would have an affect? In the long term I plan on buying better speakers for the amp and using the JBL's for my PC. The volume on my phone does work, I was just hoping I'd be able to fiddle with the bass a little. Thank you for the quick reply, I appreciate your help.

4. Ugg10

Ugg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    The LF/HF trim on the rear of the speakers give you a limited amount of bass/treble control.

If you have a preamp you do not need the Onkyo, the speakers already have amps in them, just plug the phone into the preamp. The alternative is to buy an older and cheap second hand amp with a pre out function, look at the nad 3020’s as an example. You may be lucky and pick up a cheap rotel preamp, model number starting RC, on eBay.

5. Ugg10

Ugg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    Worth keeping an eye on NAD 3130 (30 amp) Stereo Integrated Amplifier - Separate | eBay

Or this as a buy it now NAD 302 INTEGRATED STEREO AMPLIFIER WITH PHONO STAGE | eBay

The early nads have good preamp stages, I have a 1240 and it boosted the bass and opened up the mids counteracting some of the digital glare. Just a thought, it may be your phone output that is a bit lightweight if you think you are lacking bass, however the jbls are studio monitors with flat response, go down to about 45hz and have smallish drivers do bass will not be huge what ever you feed them .
    Worth a read.
    Massdrop x JBL LSR30X Powered Speakers Review | Headfonics

6. Ciaran45

Ciaran45
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rotel RC-971, pre-amplifier, black, preamp, RC971, Original Packaging | eBay
    Would you suggest something like this?
    I really appreciate the help, some of the terminology you're using is going straight over my head to be honest, but it's always good to learn. I wasn't really concerned with the quality audio itself, it does sound excellent, but no doubt the iPhone output is not too powerful. Do you think I'd be better off simply using a dual 1/4inch to 3.5, or is the amplifier still having the desired affect?

7. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,980
    If this is temporary & only for the phone I'd consider getting a bluetooth receiver & connecting to the speakers, forgetting the Onkyo for now. Then use a player on the phone with eq.

Or this Yamaha adapter for Airplay, which would be better quality as I don't think Apple support the higher quality APT-X bluetooth.

Yamaha WXAD-10

8. Ugg10

Ugg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    If this is just an interin solution and you are happy using the phone volume then I'd be tempted to buy a cheap 3.5mm to RCA adaptor and try plugging your phone straight into the speakers and see how it goes. The Amp is probably not doing a lot at the moment just passing the phone output through to the line out plugs. My son has active yamaha speakers and it sounds ok with my ipad plugged directly into them. The only thing you need to do is balance the volumes on the back of the speakers to the phone volume. My start would be phone on max then wind up the speakers until they are as loud as you want to go (probably about 2/3 - 3/4 of the way round) this ensures that you are using the upper end of the phone digital volume and preserting quality.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CDL-Micro-...19858774&sr=8-8&keywords=3.5mm+to+rca+adaptor

or like this -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/rhinocable...9858833&sr=8-20&keywords=3.5mm+to+rca+adaptor

order the one which is a good balance of price and delivery date.