• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Amplifier interference

Mr man

Standard Member
Do I need a ground loop isolator?
I have the 3.5mm headphone jack coming out of my laptop and into my stereo, which then obviously amplifies the signal to drive the speakers connected to it, however on the subwoofer output i have a converter that drops the speaker level output coming out of the stereo (only the subwoofer channel) to a line level which then goes into a more powerful amplifier to drive a 12 inch subwoofer. The problem is when my laptop and amplifier is plugged into the mains at the same time I get a horrible buzzing sound although when i unplug the laptop or amp it goes away. I also have similar problems when connecting games concoles. I have read that a ground loop isolater may fix my problem. I would like to know more about how one works and if it will fix the problem. All help appreciated thanks :)

Ari33

It may be the laptop transformers induction coils own electro-magnetic field being picked up by the amp. Try moving the transformer away from the amp if you can and see if the problem persists.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom