Amplifier for Monitor Audio Silver 6 floor standing fronts

Johnny123456

Novice Member
Hi there,

I've recently swapped to having Monitor Audio Silver 6 fronts and a Silver (5G) centre for my 9.1 system (everything else MA radius 90s / 225s). I'd like to separately power my fronts using a separate amp to my AV (Denon AVRx 4200) as I listen to music through these as well from other sources. Any recommendations for a suitable integrated amp - I've been looking at various Marantz amps, but want to ensure I get something adequately powered and also with twin speaker outputs so I can try bi-wiring. If anyone believes there would be any noticeable improvement from using a separate pre-amp then I'd potentially be interested in exploring that too - but it's just more stuff I guess! Any recommendations for an amp (second hand)? Thanks all. J

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Are you looking to keep the Denon for cinema and then add a stereo integrated amp which can take advantage of the ht-bypass meaning that the Silvers are driven stereo integrated like a power amp (due to the ht-bypass having a fixed volume level) then using the other inputs on the stereo integrated amps inputs for musical playback

If you run down this route then take a look at the list of amplifiers which can use this feature

Many people who are venturing into this area do look towards brands like AudioLab which use this particular feature with great results. The 6000A is a popular unit, but as you have the 4000 series Denon unit, I'd say you probably need to up it to the next model above (the 8300A)

If you are unsure how to wire up the two units together, I've create a simple diagram which should how you wire both the and interconnects (The AVR is an illustration showing that you use the pre-outs it). For wiring the speakers, the fronts as you expect will go to the stereo and the remaining surrounds are kept with the Denon. You will be required to run the EQ system once wired up and remember to have the stereo switched to the ht-bypass for this process so the speakers are balanced as well as the Denon can
yamaha-rx-v6a-6000.jpg

Last edited:

Johnny123456

Novice Member
Hi there - thanks for the advice. Yes I am wanting to continue to use the Denon AV for cinema, but to use the front pre-outs from the AV into an integrated amp to then power my Silver 6's. I will also use an integrated amp for other sources e.g. CD. My assumption is a dedicated amp for the fronts will be better
Not sure I fully understand what you mean by "can take advantage of the ht-bypass" - I'm a but new to this! Thanks again for your help, J

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
If you are looking at doing that, then the ht-bypass is very important as it makes everything a lot simpler where you don't have to mess with the volume on the integrated stereo amp (as it is fixed at full volume) when using the AVR via this input. If you use a conventional integrated stereo, then you will have to match the volume every time you turn it on and if you don't then the room eq you perform will always be wrong

So in reality, it helps you get the very best out of your system. Now not all integrated stereo amps use this feature hence why I added the link to a very helpful website which has spent the time in listing almost everyone which is available

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom