Question Amplifier for KEF R300

Maxa78

Novice Member
Hi guys
Can you suggest me amplifier for KEF R300 speakers? My budget is 2500€ if it has DAC, or 2000€ without DAC.
Currently I have Yamaha as801, but I'm not satisfied. Mids are somehow thin, no "meat", and the lows are overblown with too much of extension.
The room is 18m2, and music is mostly jazz, blues, rock, vocal...

gibbsy

Rega Elicit-R. It drives my R300s with commensurate ease. Great mids and highs, well controlled bass.

Ugg10

The lingdorf is a very good shout.

Couple of others around the £2k mark second hand -

Hegel H300
Naim 172xs and NAP200

Or if you only have digital inputs - Audiolab mdac(+) plus poweramp (Bryson 4sst, Krell ksa100)

But, if you can audition and let your ears decide.

Maxa78

Novice Member
There's no chanse for Lyngdorf.
Something little bit less exotic? Some Marantz, Rega, Arcam... Not particular model, I'm more interested which house sound will suite the best for KEFs.
How about Simaudio Moon series?

Paul7777x

I take it Serbia doesn’t have a thriving set of hifi shops then?

I’d certainly take a good luck at the Rega then. A legend.

I must say however, that unruly bass is more a function of the room and speaker positioning than it is of the amp.

Maxa78

Novice Member
It does not have, and certanly not in my city :(
Speakers are 75cm from the rear wall, 45cm from side walls and 2m apart from each other, so I doubt it is about positioning.
What bothers me the most are thin and dry mids, which I think is because of the amp.

Costello

75cm is a good distance from the rear wall. Have you tried moving them back a bit to improve bass response? Might be worth experimenting to see if you can get some more weight and body to the sound. How is your room furnished? Bare floors and sparse furniture and coverings can make the sound thin and harsh.

Last edited:

SickSquirrel

It does not have, and certanly not in my city :(
Speakers are 75cm from the rear wall, 45cm from side walls and 2m apart from each other, so I doubt it is about positioning.
What bothers me the most are thin and dry mids, which I think is because of the amp.
The thin and dry mids sounds more like a speaker issue not the amp, one of the reasons I avoid the KEF brand...

For the overblown bass try stuffing some socks in the rear port, can work wonders in a small space.

Last edited:

Maxa78

Novice Member
For the overblown bass try stuffing some socks in the rear port, can work wonders in a small space.
I tried with supplied bungs, it gets a little bit better. The same problem was with Dali Zensor 3 and Yamaha, so I think the problem is with the amp.

Orobas

Just a side note... you are aware the R300 drops to 3.2ohms... so we are into high current amp mode here... is the creek destiny 2 available where you are out of interest?

SickSquirrel

I tried with supplied bungs, it gets a little bit better. The same problem was with Dali Zensor 3 and Yamaha, so I think the problem is with the amp.
Try and get some non ported speakers to try from your dealer, your current amp @ 100w is more than capable in such a tiny space.

Can you post a picture of your listening room?

Last edited:

dollag

R300's are not thin in the mids at all?

Your room seems looks very live sounding and i do not think any amount of amplifier will solve that. room treatments imo is a must.

It looks like you have a big window on the opposite side of the room also?

Maxa78

Novice Member
Behind speakers is a stone wall. On the oposite side is a large window, but with curtain over it. A larger carpet should arrive soon

Paul7777x

I’d try toeing them in a fair bit. And losing the coffee table.

(If losing th coffee table is truly impossible then at least swap it for the smallest you can).

And if you really can’t afford the Lyngdorf (which is built for such challenging rooms), then try some absorption at the first point reflection surfaces.

Orobas

another option if the creek destiny 2 is not available is the tried and trusted Marantz PM-15S2 Limited Edition . It's proven with the Keff... and possibly on the same wavelength as the more expensive lyngdorf in terms of sound characteristics? not sure if Paul concurs with this or if the Marantz is too light

dollag

I had a creek evo 50a on my r300's and whilst a great amplifier, it never got the best out of the r300's imo.

I would concure that the lyngdorf is the way to go, especially taking into account the room

Orobas

I had a creek evo 50a on my r300's and whilst a great amplifier, it never got the best out of the r300's imo.

I would concure that the lyngdorf is the way to go, especially taking into account the room
If you found the evo wasnt that up to par.. the destiny sits inbetween the 50a and the 100a.. then possibly an Exposure 3010s2 is more the missing link in terms of filling what the creeks lack. Think of it of a Naim with soul!

dollag

gibbsy

Room is having a very big impact on the perceived thinness of the sound, too many reflective surfaces. I would certainly toe in the 300s, mine are 5% or so. You could also try moving them back toward the wall and use the half port fully inserted.

Andywilliams

Definitely its your room that's causing you problems would sort that out first before changing your amp have a look on ebay at bluefrog audio that do quite a few different panels in numerous material colours I bet if you clap it echoes so many hard surfaces. Kef themselves use Hegel quite often when showing there speakers at exhibits but do something with your hard surfaces first.

Attachments

Maxa78

Novice Member
Any hard core RT is imposible, due to heavy WAF :) Divorce is inevitable if I move spekers just 1cm into the room :) I can only get some pics on the wall and a larger carpet.
During critical listening I put some pillows or something to cover first reflections off the wall, but I don't notice any difference in sound.

dollag

Definitely its your room that's causing you problems would sort that out first before changing your amp have a look on ebay at bluefrog audio that do quite a few different panels in numerous material colours I bet if you clap it echoes so many hard surfaces. Kef themselves use Hegel quite often when showing there speakers at exhibits but do something with your hard surfaces first.
s400's?? I really want to hear those :)

Any hard core RT is imposible, due to heavy WAF :) Divorce is inevitable if I move spekers just 1cm into the room :) I can only get some pics on the wall and a larger carpet.
During critical listening I put some pillows or something to cover first reflections off the wall, but I don't notice any difference in sound.
tbf the room probably needs a bit more than just the first reflection points as every wall is reflective and they are pinging around.

hegal amps are very good and have great inernal dacs. as stated, they pair well with kefs. arcam sr250 may be another good amp for them

Paul7777x

...then the only other thing I can suggest is one of these;

Dirac Live will get a lot of the room nasties corrected. It certainly does wonders for the bass, but it also works well on higher frequency problems too.

If you can’t add copious room treatment (and even if you could) the only way to sort out that room is with the miracle of modern DSP.

Paul7777x

Ps, I’d still suggest a smaller coffee table.

And, moving the speakers in from the side walls about 6 inches each and about the same or a bit more toward the back wall. With at least a modest toe in.

Sometimes seemingly minor adjustments make appreciable improvements.

And it’s free to try.

Pps, it’s also possible to buy panels like Andy’s with prints of your choice on them. Surely they qualify as pictures :smashin:

dollag

...then the only other thing I can suggest is one of these;

Dirac Live will get a lot of the room nasties corrected. It certainly does wonders for the bass, but it also works well on higher frequency problems too.

If you can’t add copious room treatment (and even if you could) the only way to sort out that room is with the miracle of modern DSP.
I agree, it's why i pointed the op towards the arcam sr250 or the lyngdorf! i think these 2 options is the only way forward