1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amplifier for KEF 201 ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by skinnyfat, May 28, 2005.

1. skinnyfat

skinnyfat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there

Can anyone suggest what type of amplification I should be looking at if I were to buy a pair of Kef 201's. I will be using them as mains. Will a yamaha 2500 be sufficient ? or should I get a good stereo amp to run them

Any suggestions?

2. skinnyfat

skinnyfat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone ?? :rolleyes:

3. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    What about just a power amp?

I would venture down the integrated stereo amp if you are looking at improving your stereo performance.

The Yamaha wouldn’t be my first (or second or third) choice of amplifier, but it would still do a fine job.

4. skinnyfat

skinnyfat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Harry

I was thinking of the Rotel RB 1070 or possibly RB 1080 if my budget can extend that far.

However if as you say the yammy will be alright I may stick with it for a while. My concern was that the 201's aren't as efficient as my Q7's and would therefore need a better quality amp or am I worrying about too trivial a matter ??

Skinny

5. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    They do need a better amplification and is not a trivial matter. But I would recommend that you introduce 1 component at a time, and do upgrades properly than compromising on components because of budget constraints.

6. skinnyfat

skinnyfat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Harry
    I appreciate your taking time to respond :)

Do you think the Rotel RB 1080 will be alright? I know its rated at 2 X 200 watts and has had good reviews. My ultimate aim is to be using the Yamaha for its processing which IMO is excellent and run all my speakers off power amps. The kit I was thinking of in a 7.1 setup was :

Rotel rb 1080 for mains
    Rotel rmb 1075 for the rest
    The yamaha's amp for zone 2

The 1075 is rated at 120 x 5. Am I correct in assuming that this will be more than adequate for the Q1's, Q9c and Q2DS as they are rated up to 120W, or would it be better to keep things equal and go for the RMB 1095 which is 200 x 5. My thoughts were that the RMB 1095 might be too powerful for the Q series.

Your thoughts ?

Thanks again
    skinny

7. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    In principle your plans sound find, but I think it is possibly too early to actually lock in the finer details. In my view the RMB-1095 is not needed for what is essentially rear-effect speakers. The 1075 would be more than adequate.

I am in Australia, so I don’t know what brands are available to you, but this is what I have:
    http://www.sherwoodusa.com/prod_a965.html. It is a worth while audition to the Rotel.

While I don’t have anything against Rotel, I would investigate other brands of power amps for the KEF mains (just to be sure the match is for you). Use the Yamaha to power the remaining speakers in zone 1, and add something like a (2nd hand) Rotel RMB-1066 to power Zone 2 (provided that is possible).