• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Amplifier for a newbie....advice please.

TimmyP23

Established Member
Hi all

I'd like to think I;m getting into my AV stuff, and next on my purchase list is an amplifier. Could you please recommend the best amplifier for use with the following:

1) V+HD Box (optical and HDMI connection)
2) Western Digital HD Media Streamer (optical and HDMI connection)
3) Squeezebox
4) Xbox 360
5) Nintendo Wii

All to be connected to a LCD TV with single HDMI input and component input (currently used for 360).

I have looked at the Yamaha RXV363 (which I can get for £156) or the ONKYO TXSR576. I'd also need a pair of preferably 2.0 speakers as I dont want cables all over the lounge at the moment. I like the look of the Logitech X-10's.

I'd appreciate any advice and comments.

Thank you.

dwhite

Distinguished Member
I wouldn't just ask for the best (some AV receivers can cost £1000's), I would suggest you state a budget and ask for the best amp for your needs within your budget.

ChrisAV

Established Member
OK, looking around £200, maybe £250 max.

Thanks

Is that to cover the speakers as well, or just the amp?

Couple of other questions:

1) How does Squeeze box connect?
2) For 360 are you just using the stereo leads?
3) For Wii are you using the bundled composite lead or purchased the component cable

Chris

TimmyP23

Established Member
Is that to cover the speakers as well, or just the amp?

Couple of other questions:

1) How does Squeeze box connect?
2) For 360 are you just using the stereo leads?
3) For Wii are you using the bundled composite lead or purchased the component cable

Chris

Chris, that budget is just for the amplifier.

At present I have the squeezebox connected directly to the speakers using a 3.5mm jack. All other sounds (i.e. tv, 360) go directly through the TV. I am using the bundled composite lead (with scart adapter) for the wii.

ChrisAV

Established Member
Ok, I think the RXV363 will just about cover your needs, with a couple of caveats:

- It has 2 HDMI inputs, and 2 optical inputs so that's the V+ and WD media streamer covered.

- It has 3 component inputs, which covers the Xbox and the Wii if you wish to purchase the component leads (which would give you a better picture (420P I think))

- 3 Composite video inputs which would allow you to connect your Wii using your exisiting cable, but you would also have to run composite from the amp to the TV in this case.

- 5 stereo inputs, 2 of which wil be used by Xbox/Wii, leaving enough to the Squeezbox.

The RXV363 allows you to assign video inputs to audio inputs using the Input Menu.

I'm not familiar with Onkyo amps but the 576 seems to have a similar range of inputs, except for an extra HDMI but one fewer component, so would still suit. All digital inputs are assignable.

Chris

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom