Amplifier/CD Player recommendations for Mission 753's please!

snitton

Novice Member
Amplifier/CD Player recommendations for Mission 753's please!

I currently have a set of Mission 753 speakers that I am very fond of but want to upgrade my amplifier and CD player. I am currently running a Pioneer A400X amp and a Marantz CD-63.

I am looking at doing a serious upgrade this time and know that a lot of people seem to recommend pairing Missions with Audiolab or Arcam. I am quite taken with both the Audiolab 8300A and the Arcam A29, both sell for around £850 but wondered if the extra £400 to get the Arcam A39 was justifiable?

I also really like Roksan but that is another jump in price and I don't know if it is justified

Does anyone have any advice or thoughts please?

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks.

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Give us a clear statement of budget? It is implied by the equipment you listed, but better you say it than we guess.

Audiolab and Arcam are minimalist amps as I call them. Meaning, you get a Volume Control and an Input Selector Switch and that's about it - no tone control, no DAC, in many cases no Phono, etc.... Now there is nothing wrong with that, these are good amps, just understand what you are getting.

£899 = Audiolab 8300A (75w/ch, Phono)
£850 = Arcam A29 (80w/ch, Phono)
£1250 = Arcam A39 (120w/ch, Phono)

As an alternative in more full featured amps -

£799 = Rotel A12 (60w/ch, Tone, 24b/192kDAC, Phono, Bluetooth)
£999 = Rotel A14 (80w/ch, Tone, 32b/768k DAC, Phono, Bluetooth)
£1495 = Rotel RA-1572 (120w/ch, 32b/768kHz DAC, Bluetooth, Tone, Phono)
£700 (£800 retail) = Yamaha AS801 (100w/ch, 32b/384k ESS DAC, Tone, Phono)

Simply illustrating different approaches to amp design.

I would expect the Arcam A29 with 80w/ch to do a very good job with most speakers, and of course, the Audiolab 8300A should do an excellent job to. If you are OK with the minimalist qualities of the amp. I don't say that like it is a bad thing, many people prefer this type of amp, just make sure it serves your needs.

As to whether the Arcam A39 (120w/ch) is worth it, that's up to you to determine. The price per watt on all three amps is pretty close, you just have to decide if you are willing to pay £400 more to get 40w/ch more; about a 50% increase in power. Though of course, there are other aspects that might make it worthwhile - higher quality components, XLR inputs.

That said, both the Arcam A29 or the Audiolab 8300A should have no problem driving your speakers, and both are well regarded amps.

Steve/bluewizard

snitton

Novice Member
Give us a clear statement of budget? It is implied by the equipment you listed, but better you say it than we guess.

Audiolab and Arcam are minimalist amps as I call them. Meaning, you get a Volume Control and an Input Selector Switch and that's about it - no tone control, no DAC, in many cases no Phono, etc.... Now there is nothing wrong with that, these are good amps, just understand what you are getting.

£899 = Audiolab 8300A (75w/ch, Phono)
£850 = Arcam A29 (80w/ch, Phono)
£1250 = Arcam A39 (120w/ch, Phono)

As an alternative in more full featured amps -

£799 = Rotel A12 (60w/ch, Tone, 24b/192kDAC, Phono, Bluetooth)
£999 = Rotel A14 (80w/ch, Tone, 32b/768k DAC, Phono, Bluetooth)
£1495 = Rotel RA-1572 (120w/ch, 32b/768kHz DAC, Bluetooth, Tone, Phono)
£700 (£800 retail) = Yamaha AS801 (100w/ch, 32b/384k ESS DAC, Tone, Phono)

Simply illustrating different approaches to amp design.

I would expect the Arcam A29 with 80w/ch to do a very good job with most speakers, and of course, the Audiolab 8300A should do an excellent job to. If you are OK with the minimalist qualities of the amp. I don't say that like it is a bad thing, many people prefer this type of amp, just make sure it serves your needs.

As to whether the Arcam A39 (120w/ch) is worth it, that's up to you to determine. The price per watt on all three amps is pretty close, you just have to decide if you are willing to pay £400 more to get 40w/ch more; about a 50% increase in power. Though of course, there are other aspects that might make it worthwhile - higher quality components, XLR inputs.

That said, both the Arcam A29 or the Audiolab 8300A should have no problem driving your speakers, and both are well regarded amps.

Steve/bluewizard
Thanks for the helpful reply Steve.

The budget is flexible but would ideally be in the £850 - £1250 range. I would spend more if it offered value but wondered about the theory of diminishing returns once we go past this stage. For example I really like the look of a couple of the Roksan amps but they are another jump in price and don't know whether they can be justified.

I am happy with minimalist but Phono is important as I play a lot of vinyl and a USB connection would be helpful moving forward. Both the Arcam A29 & A39 have these but the Audiolab only Phono so I slightly favour the Arcam over the Audiolab at the moment.

The three Rotel amps you mention are also very interesting, I admit that I hadn't considered them. They seem to be worth considering as well. Any further thoughts you may have would be gratefully received.

droidlike

I'll not recommend enough both the high-end power amp yamaha A-S1100
together with the musicast WXC-50,
they are at you budget.

In my opinion A-S1100 set itself apart from all the hi-fi-ish power amp
a lot bettter up to an audiophile grade.

but maybe you are not audiophile .

Timmy C

Distinguished Member
Most will tell you 753's are happiest with a good bit of power behind them and I would certainly agree. Only you can decide what you like best but I've always been happy with Arcam amps powering my 753's. I did try an Audiolab 8000A which worked wonderfully with my 751's but I found more powerful Arcam amps ( in my case I used a 2x Alpha 9p power amps originally, then 10p's but now a single Alpha 10 as it's now a secondary set up in a smaller room) were the way to go with the 753's.

Legzr1

Long time ago now but I spent an enjoyable time driving my 753f's with Marantz PM and CD 17 KI sig equipment - £2400 front end into £900 speakers and the results were excellent.

Fast forward a decade or so and I've recently picked up a CD17 ki for occasional disc spinning for around £200 - a little more for the matching amp would make for a great system.

I never recalled gelled with Arcam gear into the 753 - tended to exaggerate mid forwardness a little bit - just different flavours I suppose.

Timmy C

Distinguished Member
Long time ago now but I spent an enjoyable time driving my 753f's with Marantz PM and CD 17 KI sig equipment - £2400 front end into £900 speakers and the results were excellent.

Fast forward a decade or so and I've recently picked up a CD17 ki for occasional disc spinning for around £200 - a little more for the matching amp would make for a great system.

I never recalled gelled with Arcam gear into the 753 - tended to exaggerate mid forwardness a little bit - just different flavours I suppose.
I would agree secondhand is the way to go, particularly if there's no requirement for modern bells and whistles. If the OP takes the Arcam route then I would suggest an Alpha 9, CD92 or CD23 player. All pretty similar on the inside, lovely sounding and plenty about.

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
...The budget is flexible but would ideally be in the £850 - £1250 range. ...

I am happy with minimalist but Phono is important as I play a lot of vinyl and a USB connection would be helpful moving forward. Both the Arcam A29 & A39 have these but the Audiolab only Phono so I slightly favour the Arcam over the Audiolab at the moment.

There is a USB on the back of the A29 and A39, but I think it is 5v only for powering or charging USB devices. I don't think it is a USB Data port. In all the specs I found, for either the A29 or the A39, there was no mention of a DAC, which their would have to be if the USB were Data Ports.

On the issue of USB Ports on amps, first the amp must have a DAC. Second, there are two types of USB ports - Media and PC.

USB-Media
will allow you to connect USB Thumb Drives, USB hard Drives, and to connect a Smart Phone, but not a Computer.

USB-PC
will allow a direct Computer Connections.

Steve/bluewizard

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom