Amplifier and speakers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Pids, Oct 12, 2002.

1. Pids

Pids

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have about a £1000 to buy an amp and speaker set. Any ideas in what would be a good idea?

I do not know ,uch about Amps and speakers. I have a Panasonic DVD player. and a Panasonc 36inch widescreen tv.

A have a small room, need speaker etc that will work well at low volumne.

Is 6.1 a reality or should I stick to 5.1?

Any help would be gratefully received.

Chris

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Unless you can move your seating position so you have about 1M of space between (behind) you and the rear centre speaker, you are better off sticking to 5.1, particularly in a small room.

Amps: Yamaha, Denon, Marantz, Sony are good places to start.

Speakers: Mission, Wharfedale, Kef likewise. Mission FS2 get my vote for small, quality and good at low volumes too.

3. Tejpal

Tejpal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would get a Marantz 4200 a/v reciever, and Kef Cresta 3 Fronts, Cresta 2 Rears and Cresta Centre for centre... And you should have the budget for a good sub.

4. michaelab

michaelab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I second that about the Marantz SR4200 AV receiver. It's new price was originally about £300-350 but since it's about to be replaced by the SR4300 (who's only real improvement is 6.1) you can get it for £200 at places like Richer Sounds (where I got mine). That means you're getting a stonking AV receiver for your money, which also does an excellent job on stereo music as well (which can't be said for many sub £400 AV receivers).

My speakers are Tannoy Mercury mx3 fronts, mx2 rears and an mxC centre. I don't have (or want) a sub. I bought my speakers separately at different times but I think you can buy the whole MX 'package' (5 speakers) for about £500. You might have trouble finding it though since it's about to be (already?) replaced by the MX-M range which is very similar and similarly priced (I believe).

Michael.

5. Pids

Pids

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, OK so a Marantz seems favourite. Am I losing something by going with an AMp/Receiver. and is 6.1 going to become more used. Should I "futureproof" by going woth 6.1.

Nobber why dont you want a sub?

Are small speakers best set on a wall or on stands.

So much to think about my head spins.

Thanks again.

6. michaelab

michaelab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Most AV amps are receivers - just think of the fact that you get a great tuner thrown in (which means you don't need yet another separate bit of kit). Of course you can have a separate amp and tuner but then we're talking AV processors and thousands of pounds...

AFAIK there are very few 6.1 titles out there (are there any?) so I wouldn't worry about not having 6.1. By the time it becomes common you'll want to upgrade your amp anyway :)

It was me (not Nobber) who doesn't want a sub - it's just personal preference. They cost a lot for what they are and I get good bass from my fronts. I personally don't think they add that much that I don't get from a decent set of front speakers.

Stands or wall is really personal preference - I think stands give you more flexibility in positioning but depending on the size of your rear speakers you might find it hard to find a suitably tall set of stands - most speaker stands are designed for stereo front speakers and are not really tall enough - like mine :(

Michael.