1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amplifier advice

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Phil43, May 18, 2003.

1. Phil43

Phil43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Dear Readers, I own an 80W per channel integrated amplifier that I use purely for bass >40 hz.

If I were to connect the + from the left channel and the - from the right channel to my bass machine and just connect the other terminals to each other (This is in series if I remember my physics) will I blow everthing to bits or will I achieve extra power.

Most of my listening is at modest levels hovever I currently have the integrated amplifier full out to match the rest of my system.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I think you are talking about bridging the amp for mono instead of stereo. Try a search, I know Power amps can be bridged but you might need to check for an integrated!
    PS dont take my word for all this try searching google and I'm sure a few more people will be around to offer advice.

3. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    Only some amps can be bridged ... they have to have the correct circuitary. If you try to bridge any other amp you're likely to end up with a smoking doorstop.

Its not work trying. Sell the current amp and buy something higher powered.

Another thing to note is when you bridge and amp, they tend not to work well with low frequencies.

Vikki