Amplifier - Advice

Maverick635

Novice Member
Reaction score
Evening,

Just purchased a Panasonic TX-P50VT65B TV with a Panasonic DMP-BDT230 DVD Player to go 3D.

Regretfully or through lack of thought my amplifier a Yamaha RX-V1065 will not allow the player to recognise the TV.

Therefore I am planning to change over the amp.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Why not connect the BR player direct to the TV for video and through the amp for audio?

Why not connect the BR player direct to the TV for video and through the amp for audio?

Maybe because no TV will passthrough the HD formats associated with Blu-ray and optical straight from the player will also not convey HD formats or anything more than 5.1.

Maybe it would be cheaper for you to consider the purchase of a 3D player with dual HDMI output?

You'd connect one HDMI output to the display to convey 3D sequential video while using the other HDMI output to convey HD audio to your current AV receiver. Such a player will cost you under £200 while a replacement HDMI 1.4 equipped AV receiver of a comparable standard to your current receiver will set you back about £1K.

Buy Panasonic DMP-BDT130EB Smart 3D Blu-ray Disc/DVD Player online at John Lewis

If still wanting to replace the receiver then consider the Yamaha RXA1030 or the slightly older 1020. If willing to sacrifice some of the refinements of the Adventage models then also consider the cheaper alternative of the Yamaha RXV1073:

Yamaha RX-V1073

Yamaha RX-A1020

Yamaha RX-A1030

Last edited:
It has just come to my attention that your existing Panasonic DMP-BDT230 has dual HDMI output? Simply do as suggested with your existing player and make a connection from one of its outputs to your TV for sequential 3D while using the other output to the receiver to convey audio.

Maybe because no TV will passthrough the HD formats associated with Blu-ray and optical straight from the player will also not convey HD formats or anything more than 5.1.
You've lost me on the first point, and I doubt that many people will worry about the second - but you've cracked the problem anyway.
It hadn't occurred to me that a "DVD player" would have two HDMi outputs!

Evening Gents,

Thank you for the advice, much appreciated.

Sounds like I have a good Amp.

Just pulled the DVD player out, sadly only one Hdmi socket.

Options a new DVD player or a new amp.

Is a Yamaha RX-v675 a step backwards?

Thanks,

The RXV675 is a good receiver, but technically 2 or 3 places below where your current receiver is placed. A more comparably model would be the previously mentioned Yamaha RX-V1073.

Just pulled the DVD player out, sadly only one Hdmi socket.
Dante thought "your existing Panasonic DMP-BDT230 has dual HDMI output" - are you sure?

Appreciate the advice, thank you.

This might be a daft question, however, what would make the biggest improvement?

A new amp rX-V1073
Or
A new DVD player Pioneer BDP-450

Thanks,

You'd probably not notice any difference in terms of either video or audio quality between one player and another. Similarly, I'd not expect to hear a vast difference between the newer RXV1073 and your older receiver. The update would purely be to bring you up to date in terms of the HDMI interface and shouldn't really be seen as an upgrade in terms of either audio or video. The BDP-450 sells for about £180, but will give you the same kind of audio and video quality as many a player that sells for £60. If simply wanting dual HDMI output then buy a cheaper player such as the DMP-BDT130EB because there's no real benefit gained by buying the more expensive Pioneer

Good advice, in summary sorted. Cheapest DVD player with two Hdmi connectors.

Thanks

Good advice, in summary sorted. Cheapest DVD player with two Hdmi connectors.

Thanks

Yes, If money is tight right now. I'd have to say that you'll eventually want to update the receiver, but I'd hold off on doing so for as long as you can.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom