Amplified extra hi-gain rooftop Aerial recomendation?

tele1962

Distinguished Member
As per title due to the very bad weather up here my aerial and cable have been damaged, and i have been told this is the type i need in my area.
Can anyone recomend a supplyer and a good quality one.:)

Edit:

Mods if this is in the wrong place please move, but i can not find a sub forum for my question.

Chris Muriel

You could check what yur neighbours are using if any of them have a newish aerial.
Televes DAT series with optional MRD fitted are good - but huge (the MRD is the amplfier).

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
i would go with Chris on this firstly if you can , the reason why is the fact that out of 10 or so houses i can see , 4 of them have an aerial that would pick signals up from Mars , however i can get every freeview channel perfectly with an old 9 element aerial hung from string in the loft , you dont want to be paying more than you need to ..............

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Yes,mine does.

John

moved to freeview

MarkE19

If you put your postcode into Wolfbane digital TV reception predictor that will give you a recommended aerial type for all available transmitters in your area.
I bought my aerial from ATV as recommended by Graham and their service was excellent with over the phone advice and IMO good prices.

Mark.

Rodders53

Take Wolfbane's aerial recommendations with a pinch of salt.... it is exceedingly pessimistic in my experience and recommends high gain amplified where an 18-element grouped aerial would be more than sufficient.

It all depends exactly where in Newcastle the OP lives.... most watch Pontop Pike or the Fenham relay, but some need to use Bilsdale and there are a few small analogue relays about. The OP should use the trade view of Digital UK - Postcode checker to find out the most likely transmitter to use (and if this is the one the existing aerial points towards).

Basically, if the aerial worked OK before it was storm damaged a 'like for like' replacement should suffice. That is to say an 18-element should be replaced with an 18-element. Whatever you do -avoid the 'contract aerial' - the type with a rectangular pressed aluminium plate for its reflector.

tele1962

Distinguished Member
Take Wolfbane's aerial recommendations with a pinch of salt.... it is exceedingly pessimistic in my experience and recommends high gain amplified where an 18-element grouped aerial would be more than sufficient.

It all depends exactly where in Newcastle the OP lives.... most watch Pontop Pike or the Fenham relay, but some need to use Bilsdale and there are a few small analogue relays about. The OP should use the trade view of Digital UK - Postcode checker to find out the most likely transmitter to use (and if this is the one the existing aerial points towards).

Basically, if the aerial worked OK before it was storm damaged a 'like for like' replacement should suffice. That is to say an 18-element should be replaced with an 18-element. Whatever you do -avoid the 'contract aerial' - the type with a rectangular pressed aluminium plate for its reflector.
I can use Pontopike or Fenham, Pontop being the better option.

Wolfbain is where i got the recomendation and it did make me wonder as no one else close to me has there recomended type of aerial. It is quite poor reception here in Walker a suberb of Newcastle but i think that situation has improved since they demolished some flats accross the road from me.

Last edited:

Member 470573

Standard Member
As per title due to the very bad weather up here my aerial and cable have been damaged, and i have been told this is the type i need in my area.
Can anyone recomend a supplyer and a good quality one.:)

Edit:

Mods if this is in the wrong place please move, but i can not find a sub forum for my question.
Where about's in Newcastle are you? As specific as street if you like as can give you advice on what's overkill or not. PM me if you prefer not to public post...

Rodders53

I'd talk to Gareth if I were you - he's only just across the river and your suburb was named after his Grandad ;-) Local knowledge is more valuable than anything else in the aerial game.

tele1962

Distinguished Member
Many thanks Gareth for your excellent advice and superb price.:smashin:

Although it is trade might i be able to come over and Purchase one of you if not i will order online.:)

Member 470573

Standard Member
Many thanks Gareth for your excellent advice and superb price.:smashin:

Although it is trade might i be able to come over and Purchase one of you if not i will order online.:)
No worries, you can come over and collect no problem, probably quicker than waiting for the Royal Fail :D

Trending threads

Latest news

BritBox adds Channel 5 and Comedy Central to roster
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 23rd Sept - Spears and Munsil
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
T+A expands E-Series with PA 1100E integrated amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins unveils new PX wireless ANC headphones