Amplification for M&K THX Speakers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Stewart C, Sep 22, 2001.

1. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have M&K Speakers and a relatively old Yamaha Receiver (795RDS). I bought the speakers knowing that I would be upgrading the amplifier at some date, well now is the time to preferably a THX Amplifier to go with my THX Speakers. I was initially interested in the Pioneer 909RDS as the price is fantastic at the moment, see post below. But I am growing more and more concerned about something.

Looking more closely at the HCC Review on this site, the power drops from 110watts as specified by the Company to 76-84 watts RMS with some or minimal THD when the amp is pushed. Now this isn't much more power than I have already with my Yamaha (70watts - although I wonder what I'm really getting with my hard to work with speakers !!) Any ideas ?

My speakers are 4 ohms and demand good amplification and my Yamaha while adequate does not push the M&K's to their full capacity, according to everyone I speak to. What does this mean though. What difference is extra power, apart from volume.

I read a similar review recently in another magazine with someone who had the same problem and the reviewer stated that indeed the M&K's were hardly being taxed at all.

THX does not necessarily mean the best sound I realise that but the 909 got very good reviews at £1200 and I can get it at a fraction of this but I am still worried about the power output and whether I would be better waiting and saving for the Yamaha AX1 or one of the Denon THX beasts.

Any comments?

Regards

Stewart C

2. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,036
    The Pioneer is built to THX Ultra standard so shouldnt have any problems driving your speakers, out of interest which M&K models do you have?

I would advise demoing a unit before you buy it, preferably driving the same speakers you have already.

As in your other post if you fancy waiting (& saving!) Denon has their new AVC11 coming out soon with all the latest formats & THX Ultra spec.

Or go for the A1SE, this will drive your speakers no problem at all, i have one and its superb!!

Obviously better amplification costs more money so its up to you!!

cheers

[ 22-09-2001: Message edited by: Capt. Pugwash ]</p>

3. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    M&K SS150 THX Speakers.

Ok. But will the Pioneer give me a better Sound than my little old Yamaha bearing in mind what I have stated above regarding power output.

Thanks

Stewart

4. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,036
    A ha! the speakers i would like to upgrade to!!

The Pioneer should give you better sound quality as it has better amplification, DAC´s etc

I used to have the same Yamaha and whilst good it cant touch the Pioneer spec wise.

Personally i would hold out for one of the Denon´s as the Pioneer isnt as good, apparently!, i´ve not heard the Pioneer so cant comment on it!

cheers

5. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,036
    Another thing. The M&K´s do like to be driven LOUD! They are quite happy being blasted along at THX reference levels.

You could always go the separates route, power amps etc etc

Just a thought.

6. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,135
    Stewart,

Wait and hear the new Denon amp, it has all the latest formats and retails at £1400. It is more expensive than the pioneer, but denon amplification is top notch compared to pioneer.

Just a thought.

P.s. I have owned Pioneer amps and Yamaha (dspA2 at the mo) and none are as good to my ears as the denon's