1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amplification Advice

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Dillon, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Dillon

Dillon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have an Arcam A32, and am looking to upgrade my system for home cinema use. I have a lot of DVDs, so surround performance is important, but I also listen to loads of 2 channel stuff, so upgrade would have to be a 'jack of all trades' really. I love my A32s sound, so want to stick with Arcam gear. I came up with the following possible combination options:

(1) Get a multi channel module for the A32, and then get a 3 channel P35. Disadvantage that there would be no on-board decoding etc.

(2) Get an AVR300 and use it to decode and for rear / centre amplification, and use the A32 for fronts.

(3) Sell the A32, and get an AVP700 and either P1000 or P7 (or indeed a P35/3 and keep the A32 too). Only using a CRT, so HDMI handling is not relevant. Buget would not stretch to AV8/P7 due to other upgrades ...

Timing wise waiting for AVP700 would not be an issue, as my hi-fi kit is still in a shipping container coming from Australia, so will be released (probably) by the time my stuff arrives. The DVD player is also being replaced (an old Sony 725d), probably with either an Arcam 79 or DV29, or Denon 3910.

My issue is my local dealer has never seen a multi channel module for the A32, so is unable to demo or advise on that option. Not sure what would be the best of the other options - anyone got any advice ??

As an aside, has anyone used Dynaudio 52Ses with a set up similar to above ? Demoed the Contour 1.3 ses when I got my amp, but my nearest Dyn dealer is some distance from here, so would like opinions on that combo.

2. steeled

steeled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Hi Dillon

I have the 7.1 input module in a DIVA A90 - could not afford the A32 :)

To use this module you need a DVD player that already has the Dolby Digital/DTS decoding built in. For example in the Arcam range this would be a DV89, DV79, DV27A or DV29.

The main disadvantage of this type of setup is that you will not get full 7.1 processing (DTS-ES or DD EX). Nor will you get PLII processing on TV and video games.

HTH

Dave

3. Mofar

Mofar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    If you are satisfied with the power of your A32, I suggest you buy the Arcam AVR300. I'm using this receiver for 4 weeks in a 5.1 setup now and I like it very much.

4. barnythebear

barnythebear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Go for option 2. I use my AVR300 biamped on the front 3 channels with a P25/3.

You can use your A32 in processor mode to do the fronts and biamp them with a power amp. The AVR300 will do the other channels and you could add a further power amp to biamp the rears as well. The world is your oyster as they say.

5. mrkeeling

mrkeeling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are happy with 5.1 and if music is your passion (especially hi-res one – DVD-a, SACD) – multichannel board will give you the best results (with the adequate source). Actually, the board is 7.1, so you are future-proof in a way (if players with 7.1 processing show up).

I am drooling to replace my AVR200 with A90 with multichannel board.
    :beer:

6. David-Bel

David-Bel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dillon,

I own an A32 with multichannel board fitted together with a pair of Dynaudio Audience 52SE for stereo. Just to reassure you : the Arcam/Dynaudio combination is highly recommendable ! :thumbsup:

As for the multichannel board, personnally, I use both sets of 7.1 inputs. One for my 'universal' DVD player (and especially for DVD-A/SACD) and the other one with my old Marantz A/V amp that I now use as a processor. In a way, with that sort of set up, you nearly have the best of both worlds... :D

Cheers,
    David