• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Amplifcation with SR6012 or CXA80?

funguf

Established Member
I have a CXA80 from another project and I'm thinking of putting it to use in the the home theatre to drive a pair of LS50's or Q350's (I haven't decided yet) using the pre-outs from the AVR.

I'm wondering if the CXA80 is really needed though since the output is 80w per channel whilst the Marantz SR6012 is 120w. Am I comparing apples to oranges?

Also anyone know why changing the volume on the AVR changes the gain on the amp? worried this is messing up the Audessy config.

Thanks

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 39241

I'm wondering if the CXA80 is really needed though since the output is 80w per channel whilst the Marantz SR6012 is 120w. Am I comparing apples to oranges?
Hi. A little. The 120 watts per channel is only in stereo mode, when driving multiple speakers it will be less than that.

The main advantage with using an integrated stereo amp with an AVR is to get better music playback, as you can switch off the AVR when listening to music and just use the CXA80 on it's own. It *should* sound better than the Marantz SR6012, but it may not. You'll have to try it and see.

Also anyone know why changing the volume on the AVR changes the gain on the amp? worried this is messing up the Audessy config.
It might be me, but I don't understand this question ;)

funguf

Established Member
Thanks, I mean that when I adjust the volume on the AVR with the remote. The gain/volume on the Amp also changes at the same time.

D

Deleted member 39241

Thanks, I mean that when I adjust the volume on the AVR with the remote. The gain/volume on the Amp also changes at the same time.
A-ha, both amps must share the same remote code. You could cover up the remote sensor on the amp that you want to prevent changing. Or, you could check the manual and see if there is an alternate code that you can switch one amp to.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom