Amp won't decode sound from HD dvd

MrNike

Standard Member
Reaction score

I have an old amp the Pioneer VSA E06 THX Dolby Digital amp and have just got a new Toshiba HD E1 dvd player which is connected via optical.
Problem I am having is the player decodes DD from standard dvds but when I play HD dvds it won't decode ?
Is it because of Dolby Digital Plus that HD dvd uses ?
My mate has a newer Pioneer amp with the same player that decodes with no problem.
So what is wrong with mine ?

I have an old amp the Pioneer VSA E06 THX Dolby Digital amp and have just got a new Toshiba HD E1 dvd player which is connected via optical.
Problem I am having is the player decodes DD from standard dvds but when I play HD dvds it won't decode ?
Is it because of Dolby Digital Plus that HD dvd uses ?
My mate has a newer Pioneer amp with the same player that decodes with no problem.
So what is wrong with mine ?

Most amps automatically downscales Dolby Digital Plus to dts like my amp does. When you are saying it doesn't decode, do you mean you don't get any sound or it just recognizes it as standard DD? Please elaborate.

The E06 is 5.1 and doesn't support DD EX or DTS ES or its discrete variant. If the newer one is the AX10 then it does. I had E07, its replacement, which only supported 5.1 and replaced it with the AX10.

Neither support DD+ or any of the new HD codecs. I don't have one but I am led to believe the toshiba can convert the DD+ and the DD TrueHD to DTS, however it may be it converts to DTS ES so you maybe out of luck. If there was an option to limit the number of speakers or to restrict it to either vanilla DD or DTS then you maybe ok.

Correct I don't get any sound and no DD indicaters so am assuming my amp is not geared for DD+

The E06 is 5.1 and doesn't support DD EX or DTS ES or its discrete variant. If the newer one is the AX10 then it does. I had E07, its replacement, which only supported 5.1 and replaced it with the AX10.

Neither support DD+ or any of the new HD codecs. I don't have one but I am led to believe the toshiba can convert the DD+ and the DD TrueHD to DTS, however it may be it converts to DTS ES so you maybe out of luck. If there was an option to limit the number of speakers or to restrict it to either vanilla DD or DTS then you maybe ok.

Guess I am out of luck as the amp only decodes DD and not DTS.
I have tried PCM setting on the HD E1 which does produce sound but again no indicaters show on display.

Yes I see what you mean. I assumed the E06 handled DTS. Seemingly it is possible, or at least was, to mod the E06 to support it, but I don't think the cost would be justified. I see it has pre outs but I don't know if it had the 5.1 input. If so you could replace the E1 with XE1 variant which has 5.1 outputs and have the player decode the formats, including the unavailable DTS for normal dvds. It might be a cheaper solution than replacing the amp, especially if your still happy with it otherwise. I'll take it as read that the E1 won't just convert to the vanilla DD.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom