1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amp With Surround sound card

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by fat_bloater_dav, Aug 13, 2005.

1. fat_bloater_dav

fat_bloater_dav
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello i was thinking about getting a proper set of speakers for my comptuer instead of computer speakers, but i was wondering how this would work. Can i just plug my Surround sound card into a Amp and then plug the Speakers into that?
    Any help would be cool.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    I see no reason why you can't connect it up as you suggest. The outputs from the soundcard for speakers should be at line level the same as a CD player etc, so connecting that to an AV amp with 5.1 analogue inputs should work fine. You will just need to get 3 stereo jack to 2 phono leads.
    The only problem that I can see is that the soundcard will act as a pre-amp, so you will have volume control on the PC and the AV receiver. You just need to make sure that you don't overdrive the receivers inputs by setting the volume on the PC too high.
    Another way around this would be to use powered speakers such as the Blue Sky Media Desk that is designed for PC audio. But this will be an expensive rather than budget way of going as a 2.1 system is £400 and the 5.1 system £800. You can however buy a 2.1 system and then upgrade it to 5.1 for £500 when you have the extra cash. Details of the Media Desk system can be found at www.abluesky.com and can be bought from Here

Mark.

3. fat_bloater_dav

fat_bloater_dav
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you verry much for your help