• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Amp with DVI-D (Wait for Denon 480?)

sledwich

Established Member
I am looking to buy a receiver/amp with out to DVI-D to hook into my Sharp Aquos LCD.

I visited the sound and vision show in october and saw the new Denon 4805/6? which has the DVI output connection i need.

Does anybody know of any alternatives around that they might recommend or do I need to wait for the (awsome) Denon?

Thanks

Wasabi

Established Member
Marantz sr8500 at £900 from futurehome is the cheapest amp that has dvi switching at the moment.

specs here - http://www.avland.co.uk/marantz/sr8500/sr8500.htm

although you could try avland and see if they could give a better price, as avland is reputable, while not many here has bought from futurehome atm.

Wasabi

Jase

Distinguished Member
The Denon you saw in October must have been the 5805 (A1XV) as the 4806 was only just announced a few weeks ago at the CES Show in the USA. The 4806 has DVI in but only HDMI out. The 5805 (A1XV) has both. :)

They aren't cheap though. The 5805 (A1XV) is 4K whereas the 4806 should be around 2.3K. No doubt other Denon models will appear with DVI/HDMI switching later this year.

sledwich

Established Member
I believe they had both but I dont think I was paying attention properly. The presentation of the new models was very impressive but the detail as to which models supports what is left to the high street.

The marantz 8500 looks very interesting - does anybody have any experience of this unit or comparison to the denon unit?

Thanks again.

L

lemke

Maybe not the most favorite, but the Panasonic SA-XR70 has hdmi switching.
If it's any good, I have no idea

Lem

Wasabi

Established Member
ur right lem, forgot about xr70, was so focused on the premium amps.

on thing sledwich if you want to connect 2 dvi sources, e.g. htpc and a dvi dvd player, then xr70 is not an option, as it only has 1 hdmi input.

if you want opinions about xr70, head to www.avsforum.com the us forum, and search on xr50 and xr70, and you will see that there are actually quite a few people that has been converted from analog to digital sound (xr70 is a digital amp).

Wasabi

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom