1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amp with component switching

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by daveb975, Sep 25, 2005.

1. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    Due to an impending house move, I need a new amp with component switching and/or upconversion.

I have three component sources, and a freeview box with RGB SCART or S-Video.

I have been looking at something like the Denon AVR2106, as it appears to have 3 switchable component inputs.

It has no RGB input, but would I be able to pass an S-Video signal through the component output?

I am assuming that the 100mhz bandwidth means there should be no loss in PQ over connecting directly to th screen.

Are the any other amps in this price range (upto about £500) that will be any better?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. skinnyfat

skinnyfat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Consider the Yamaha RXV 1500 as well. These amps will convert s-video to component but remember that they wont improve the quality of the source. You'll need a receiver/amp with a scaler for that (Yammy Z9, Denon A11xv etc)

3. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    Thanks. I am not looking to improve the quality of the signal, just pass it through enabling a one cable connection to the TV. Ideally, I would like an amp that could pass through an RGB SCART signal as well, but non seem to.

I take it that an amp like the Denon or Yamaha will not degrade a component signal in any way?

4. n0s

n0s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nope they wont, just pass as many s video and composite plus 3 components all in to 1 component to your display and voila!

5. pingu

pingu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Note that the EU version of the AVR-2106 doesn't upconvert composite/S-video to component. In the Denon range, you'll need the AVR-2805 at least.

6. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Marantz SR5500 at 2106 price and better sound! :thumbsup:

7. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I havn't tried yet to video switch yet on my 2106, i was assuming i could connect s-video and composite , then run a component lead to the screen, is this possible? without resorting to the manual :)

8. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    i had the same problem, so I bought a RGB SCART -> Component convertor and run component into the AMP (on a denon 3803).

9. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, i have one too.
    My question was , will the 2106 allow the composite , s-video inputs and then display them (switched by the remote) to be transmitted via component to the display? Im not after upconversion or anything.OR am I?

I messed with a 3802 to acheive something similar, and i found it had to be composite in, composite out to the screen, this was frustrating to say the least.

I tried Sky to the 3802 using s-video, then s-video to the plasma,really good quality(as good as RGB scart/component)

I then fed a composite input to the amp (cctv) and selected the input on the amp and nothing on the screen, i had to fit a composite/s-video converter to get a picture.

Still with me :) good.

10. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I know the 3803 will upconvert composite and svideo to component (and therefore sent to the display via component), I *assume* 2106 will do so as well.

11. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried the 2106 to see if it would upconvert s-video and composite to component, no go.

Maybe i am missing something?

12. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Looks like the 2805 does what you need it to do. Although the 2106 upconverts composite to s-video - not sure how much use to anyone that would be..

13. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes a strange one.

What i was after was to connect dvd with component,cctv feed with composite and sky with s-video, this way only component from the amp to the screen and the amp took care of the switching for video and audio.

Anyone else tried this on a 2106 before i send it to the classifieds?

14. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,619
    Just to make any decision harder :D .
    I currently use my Yammy as a video switcher . Sky+ via Svid , Xbox & DVD via component . 1 Component lead to Plasma .
    Just what I was looking for it to do :smashin:.

However , I can't help but feel the settings are something of a compromise . And that I'm not getting the best picture I could :( . Theres nothing wrong with the picture , but I cant help but feel it could be better :rolleyes: .

I am currently mulling over getting the new Harmony 855 remote , to enable me to switch back to seperate feeds . I could easily switch back without one , but it would just be more family freindly to have the new remote ;)(thats my excuse anyway)

Just my 2p's worth

John

15. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In another room i have a panny connected to a 3805 via s-video to Sky, it looks as good as the rgb scart did.
    Its a lot easier to let the amp control everything, even an universal remote has to switch between devices.

16. guvvie

guvvie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    The svideo output of of my pace pvr3 is no where near as good as rgb. So i bought a rgb to component converter, most pleased with the results.