Amp with component switching

daveb975

Distinguished Member
Due to an impending house move, I need a new amp with component switching and/or upconversion.

I have three component sources, and a freeview box with RGB SCART or S-Video.

I have been looking at something like the Denon AVR2106, as it appears to have 3 switchable component inputs.

It has no RGB input, but would I be able to pass an S-Video signal through the component output?

I am assuming that the 100mhz bandwidth means there should be no loss in PQ over connecting directly to th screen.

Are the any other amps in this price range (upto about £500) that will be any better?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

S

skinnyfat

Consider the Yamaha RXV 1500 as well. These amps will convert s-video to component but remember that they wont improve the quality of the source. You'll need a receiver/amp with a scaler for that (Yammy Z9, Denon A11xv etc)

daveb975

Distinguished Member
Thanks. I am not looking to improve the quality of the signal, just pass it through enabling a one cable connection to the TV. Ideally, I would like an amp that could pass through an RGB SCART signal as well, but non seem to.

I take it that an amp like the Denon or Yamaha will not degrade a component signal in any way?

n0s

Standard Member
nope they wont, just pass as many s video and composite plus 3 components all in to 1 component to your display and voila!

pingu

Established Member
daveb975 said:
It has no RGB input, but would I be able to pass an S-Video signal through the component output?
Note that the EU version of the AVR-2106 doesn't upconvert composite/S-video to component. In the Denon range, you'll need the AVR-2805 at least.

Falp

Established Member
pingu said:
Note that the EU version of the AVR-2106 doesn't upconvert composite/S-video to component. In the Denon range, you'll need the AVR-2805 at least.

Marantz SR5500 at 2106 price and better sound! :thumbsup:

A

av2diefor

pingu said:

I havn't tried yet to video switch yet on my 2106, i was assuming i could connect s-video and composite , then run a component lead to the screen, is this possible? without resorting to the manual :)

A

av2diefor

Yeah, i have one too.
My question was , will the 2106 allow the composite , s-video inputs and then display them (switched by the remote) to be transmitted via component to the display? Im not after upconversion or anything.OR am I?

I messed with a 3802 to acheive something similar, and i found it had to be composite in, composite out to the screen, this was frustrating to say the least.

I tried Sky to the 3802 using s-video, then s-video to the plasma,really good quality(as good as RGB scart/component)

I then fed a composite input to the amp (cctv) and selected the input on the amp and nothing on the screen, i had to fit a composite/s-video converter to get a picture.

Still with me :) good.

FaxFan2002

Prominent Member
I know the 3803 will upconvert composite and svideo to component (and therefore sent to the display via component), I *assume* 2106 will do so as well.

A

av2diefor

I tried the 2106 to see if it would upconvert s-video and composite to component, no go.

Maybe i am missing something?

FaxFan2002

Prominent Member
Looks like the 2805 does what you need it to do. Although the 2106 upconverts composite to s-video - not sure how much use to anyone that would be..

A

av2diefor

Yes a strange one.

What i was after was to connect dvd with component,cctv feed with composite and sky with s-video, this way only component from the amp to the screen and the amp took care of the switching for video and audio.

Anyone else tried this on a 2106 before i send it to the classifieds?

John

Just to make any decision harder :D .
I currently use my Yammy as a video switcher . Sky+ via Svid , Xbox & DVD via component . 1 Component lead to Plasma .
Just what I was looking for it to do :smashin:.

However , I can't help but feel the settings are something of a compromise . And that I'm not getting the best picture I could :( . Theres nothing wrong with the picture , but I cant help but feel it could be better :rolleyes: .

I am currently mulling over getting the new Harmony 855 remote , to enable me to switch back to seperate feeds . I could easily switch back without one , but it would just be more family freindly to have the new remote ;)(thats my excuse anyway)

Just my 2p's worth

John

A

av2diefor

In another room i have a panny connected to a 3805 via s-video to Sky, it looks as good as the rgb scart did.
Its a lot easier to let the amp control everything, even an universal remote has to switch between devices.

guvvie

Established Member
The svideo output of of my pace pvr3 is no where near as good as rgb. So i bought a rgb to component converter, most pleased with the results.

The latest video from AVForums

Amazon Fire TV Cube Gen 3 Review: Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom