amp wiring advice please

gfella

Standard Member
quick question regarding wiring amp.
am i best connecting my 360, ps3 bluray etc via hdmi to the amp to the hdmi in, then running 1 hdmi from the amp to the tv via the hdmi out?

if so then i take it i switch sources via the amp to go between ps3, 360 etc.

if there are any better ways to connect the equipment any advice would be appreciated

PSM1

Distinguished Member
HDMI is the best way to connect all your equipment to an AV reciever. For the bluray/PS3 it is the only way to get HD audio from blurays. The only exception is SkyHD which needs an optical connection since it does not send 5.1 Dolby Digital via the HDMI, only the optical.
You then use the AV reciever to switch between your sources.

gfella

Standard Member
thanks for the speedy reply.... with the sky then do i connect it via hdmi to the av and also via optical?

PSM1

Distinguished Member
You can either connect both to the AVR or have the HDMI direct to the TV, it makes no difference. It all depends if having more than one HDMI to the TV is an issue or not.

gonis

Standard Member
Didn't want to create another thread so I'll just ask here.
I have an AV receiver, DVD/CD player and a pair of speakers. I am thinking of getting an amp, but I don't want to buy another cd player or speakers. Would it be ok if I connected my cd player to both - receiver and amp? I mean I want to put two cables (one to amp , other to receiver) instead of one. and the same for speakers - I would have the same speakers connected to amp and receiver. Would there be an electric problem?

PSM1

Distinguished Member
You can not connect 2 amps to the same speakers directly, if you do you risk damaging both amps. You need to use a source select switch, Beresford do one for around £60. Both amps go to the switch and then the switch to the speakers.
I assume the change is to improve music quality. What equipment do you have (make/model)? You can connect the DVD player to 2 amps (assume it has a pair of stereo phono outputs for the stereo amp). However, DVD players are not the best CD players so depending on what equipment you have currently and what you plan to get you may find you do not get a huge improvement unless you do get a dedicated CD player.

gonis

Standard Member
currently I have pioneer vsx-818 receiver, pioneer dv-525 dvd/cd player and a pair of pioneer cs-3070 speakers. I always had a thing for retro amp and wanted one. I have found pioneer sa-606 for a good price and would really like to get it

gonis

Standard Member
Regarding source select switches - do they affect audio quality? I can't currently pay £60 for a switch, but I found some really cheap ones, like this one RadioShack Stereo Audio Source Selector (42-2112) | eBay UK . Are cheap switches a "no no", or I could go away with it?

PSM1

Distinguished Member
That is a source selection switch for sources into a stereo amp. It is not a speaker source switch so will not work (if you look on the back it only has phono connections and not speaker connections).

gonis

Standard Member
thanks for saving from making a mistake:) could you please find me something cheaper than £60 or point me the right direction to look for one? I don't exactly know what I am looking for, I have never heard of these switches before

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom