1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amp which powers on with audio signal received?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by NicB, Dec 24, 2004.

1. NicB

NicB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm looking for a fairly plain stereo amp which will stay in a 'standby mode', consuming v low power until it detects an audio feed and then it powers on, returning to standby after a short time with no signal detected.

This is for a bathroom installation so I want to mount the amp in the loft and just have the audio source (a SLIMP3 player in a water resistant housing) in the bathroom.

Does anyone have an suggestions of an appropriate amp?

Many thanks in advance,

Nic

2. Jules Tohpipi

Jules Tohpipi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Cyrus used to make a power amp called the Cyrus SmartPower with exactly this feature. Not sure if they still make it. A quick phone call to them, or a search on their website will reveal all I'm sure. Otherwise look secondhand. It sold for about £300 new IIRC. Have never heard of any other power amps with this feature.

3. linnite

linnite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    A Linn LK85 will also do this, can be found on ebay for £250-300 s/h.

Paul

4. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Most of the Linn Kit will do what you want as will Densen. As they both build multi room systems they would be my first port of call.

5. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cyrus will be changeing out there old Smartpowers to newer versions for 2005 to go with the new range of amps and preamps so you should be able to pick up the old ones for a good price either 2nd or Ex Dem, Brand new there RRP is £600 so u could get one for around 1/2 that price say £300.

John