Amp Wattage and Speaker Question

upload

It's a weird kind of room, a big round room 9m by 9m
We only moved in late last year and there were wee tiny ancient speakers already there, so I've just swapped them for better ones

I'd imagine the actual placement isn't perfect, but they're in literally each corner of the room
I'm all ears though (haha) about how to better this. The existing audio cables are very, very thin so I would think I will be looking at biting the bullet and buying better ones then worrying about how to route them!

If you really want four speakers read this. Its no longer used

Quadraphonic sound - Wikipedia

The better method would a avr and use pro logic ii music or something like that, logic 7 etc I'm using a 4.1 system for computer rig

Oh and get a sub, four little speakers in that massive room isnt enough plus you want to use bass management

What a lovely room, very jealous, I can image some nice big Open Baffle speakers in there, plenty of room to get them away from the walls!

A coupe, of observations -

speakers work best with the tweeters at ear height when sitting at the main listening position. Getting them down from the ceiling and on some stand would possibly help, you could try just putting them on tables/stools, a couple of feet away from the walls would be ideal.
it’s a very big room for those to fill but not impossible.
there is lots of bare walls and floors which may produce a bright sound but the odd shape may help with bass standing waves.
As you have the kit, try just using it with the higher impedance setting and one set of speakers and see how it sounds.

If you find that two speakers are better than you may be able to return the two new ones within a certain time is bought online? Putting the money into maybe the Dali Zensor 3 or maybe 5 floorstanders might be a better option.

Don’t spend loads on speaker wire, Kabeldirekt 2.5sq.mm for Amazon will be fine, £45 for 40m. Or just buy 10m to try out with the speakers at a lower height and slightly away from the walls.

Have you thought about turning the room through 180deg and putting the TV where the display unit is so you can have the Tv central to the seating position with the speakers either side? This may not pass Aesthetic Management but may be worth a try.

Just a few pointers and things to try without splashing too much cash.
Haha thank you, yeah it was a room used Back in the day for a mule to walk around pulling a giant stone to crush wheat!

If I'm being completely honest, having changed the setting back to "high" on the amp, ie 6 ohms per speaker and just selected "a" for the fronts, I do think it actually sounds "clearer", if that's the word

If I leave it set to high, which Calls for 12ohm speakers and my set up relegates the 6ohms down to 3 on each one, am I just asking for trouble?
Is it the speakers at risk or the amp and if its the amp, is how warm it gets a good enough indicator as to whether it's working OK or not?

What an absolutely beautiful room that is actually, shape wise, quite good for audio. The harsh wooden walls and flooring being the only thing that would greatly effect the audio. Your current speakers and going to have sound bouncing all over the place, hard to pin down. Ugg has already mentioned the poor height placement of your current front speakers.

A pair of good floorstanders in that room wouldn't look out of place, may even look a lot better than four black boxes in the wall.

Honestly, wish I had a problem like that, wouldn't wipe the smile off my wife's face for years.
Haha thanks

My wife has just about accepted the amp being hooked up to the speakers, not sure I'd win the battle if I started trying to add floor standing ones
What ive realised though is I'm going about it all wrong
It's a proper surround system I am looking for and you guys help plus lots of searching online since yesterday has made me realise that's not at all what I'm close to creating with my set up

Is it a specific amp I need for even just 5.1 surround but albeit, I could maybe integrate my existing dali 1s into it?

That room looks great and is crying out for a decent sound system - go splash some cash, you will love it!
Haha work bonus time is only 2 months away, so with you guys help I'm up for it
Biggest issue for me is going to be routing cabling :(

For surround sound you will need an AVR (Audio Visual Receiver) which will have 5,7 or 9 amps built in plus an output for a subwoofer (the .1). The AVR takes multi channel data from a dvd, blueray or satellite/cable tv and distributes it to all 5+1 channels/speakers. You would need not only an AVR (some great older ones about for not a lot of £), a dedicated centre channel speaker and ideally a subwoofer so you are probably into a bit of £.

The main issue being that very little music is recorded in surround sound and playing 2 channel music through an AVR is always a compromise I.e. will not sound as good as a dedicated stereo amp.

For surround sound you will need an AVR (Audio Visual Receiver) which will have 5,7 or 9 amps built in plus an output for a subwoofer (the .1). The AVR takes multi channel data from a dvd, blueray or satellite/cable tv and distributes it to all 5+1 channels/speakers. You would need not only an AVR (some great older ones about for not a lot of £), a dedicated centre channel speaker and ideally a subwoofer so you are probably into a bit of £.

The main issue being that very little music is recorded in surround sound and playing 2 channel music through an AVR is always a compromise I.e. will not sound as good as a dedicated stereo amp.
Ah ok...

Thank you
Any older AVRs you recommend?

Depending on budget then the Anthem MRX 500/700 range (@Paul7777x is fan of these) and Arcam (AVR400/450), these tend to be the first generation of AVR with HDMI, the Anthem has ARC room correction but the Arcam does not. So if you don’t need 4K or 2.2 for gaming then this era of AVR can be good buys, original list around £2K down to £2-300.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom