Amp vs Speaker query

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by northenstar5555, Apr 24, 2007.

1. northenstar5555

northenstar5555
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can someone please assist with my query/concern:-

I have recently got into home cinema and treated myself to some kit:-

Samsung LE40R74BDX LCD TV
    Yamaha DSP-AX759SE amplifier.
    Denon 1930 – DVD player
    Celestion AVP305 surround sound speakers.
    QED Silver Micro cable.

To all intents and purposes the system is exactly what I need. It plays well, sounds and looks good.

The issue I have is that when studying the manuals I discovered the following:-

The manual for the amplifier states that the minimum RMS output power for front L/R, centre and surround speakers is 100w. However, the manual for the speakers simply claims in the ‘Amplifier' section '20-80W'

In simple terms this implies to me that the amplifier is too powerful for the speakers?

I have rang the shop from which I bought the AV kit and was told that there are different kinds of watts and that the system is fine. Call me suspicious but they would say that. I felt like I may have been fobbed off.

Can anyone help with this query and let me know whether my spec is fine or do I need to be writing to the shop as they have sold me something that is not suitable for the purpose.

I will be only too pleased to answer any questions to assist further
    with answering this question.

Thanks.

2. steve a

steve a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    it seems like a nice combination that you have and as long as you don't go silly and start cranking the amp above 11 o'clock(think of the volume as a clock) then you should be ok. i presume the impedence for the speakers are either 8 or 6 ohm then you should be ok

3. northenstar5555

northenstar5555
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes the speakers are 8 ohms impedence and i have set the amp to match. irrespective of not cranking the amp up - do you think i should have been sold this combination. I am a 'bit fik' when it comes to this sort of thing. Since marriage and kids i am a bit out of touch !!

4. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,025
    You often find that amplifiers are slightly more powerful than the speakers they are used with, but this isn't really a problem for a number of reasons:

It is better to have a powerful amp driving speakers well within it's power, rather than a small amp driven into distortion driving large speakers. This can actually blow the tweaters by feeding excessive high frequency signals created by the amp distorting.:thumbsdow

Most surround amps are quoted as how many watts per channel for ONE channel at a time, but they don't usually tell you how many watts per channel you get when they are all producing sound. If all 5 (or 7) channels are driven the watts produced may well drop as the power supply sags under the strain.

Finally not many people realise that there is very little difference in perceived volume between an 80 watt amp and a 100 watt amp. To increase the sound level by 3db ( usually the minimum change we can detect) you need to double the watts. Unless you run at party levels you are probably only using 2-3 watts per channel anyway...thats why some people can use Class A Valve amps that are rated at 10-15 watts.

Just enjoy your system..as you say "It plays well, sounds and looks good".:thumbsup: