Amp Upgrade

stephenSDL

Standard Member
My current system:

Amp: Nad 314
CD: Marantz CD67 Mk2 OSE
Speakers: Bi wired B&W 601 S2

I find that the system sounds a bit 'bright' and believe that upgrading the amp would improve matters.

My question is, would I be better getting a NAD C320BEE (or other recommended amp) or putting a power amp on my 314 be a better idea?

Dankeech

stephenSDL said:
My current system:

Amp: Nad 314
CD: Marantz CD67 Mk2 OSE
Speakers: Bi wired B&W 601 S2

I find that the system sounds a bit 'bright' and believe that upgrading the amp would improve matters.

My question is, would I be better getting a NAD C320BEE (or other recommended amp) or putting a power amp on my 314 be a better idea?

Hi StephenSDL, I haven't much experience of previous NAD amps, but I'm quite surprised you're finding NAD and B&W combination bright. How's the Marantz CD67 over headphones? Could that be cause of brightness?

Are you running on silver wiring too?
If so, try changing to copper, seems to many including me to take the edge off the treble.

Dan.

stephenSDL

Standard Member
The Marantz sounds great on a set of headphones and I'm using copper cable - I'm pretty sure that it's the NAD - I've heard that this particular model is known for sounding a bit bright.

Dankeech

stephenSDL said:
The Marantz sounds great on a set of headphones and I'm using copper cable - I'm pretty sure that it's the NAD - I've heard that this particular model is known for sounding a bit bright.
Ok, to my knowledge current NAD models have nice warmth to them. Good job the Evo's and NAD hifi recievers are fairly common. You'll have a good chance at finding a local retailer who'll be able to demo the combination for you so you can be sure they combine well.

www.nadelectronics.com has an authorised dealer list. Also note that NAD stat on the website there's no official warranty if you don't purchase from authorised dealer:lesson:

Which town / city are you nearest to. Someone might know of a good local dealer with a good chance of having items perhaps.

Dan.

A

alphabet

I did a quick search on the NAD 314 and some people do feel that it is a bit weak on bass and has a forward sounding midrange. In fact one guys has the same amp/speaker combo as you and he seems to share your sentiments.

Mind you, if you use your headphones on the amp, do you still feel that the sound is too bright?

One recommendation appears to pair the 314 with larger floorstanding speakers or to pair the 601's with a NAD 320 amp. Url to reviews below.

http://audioholics.audioreview.com/cat/amplification/integrated-amplifiers/NAD/PRD_116326_2717crx.aspx#reviews

stephenSDL

Standard Member
It might be worth me hauling some of my equipment to a HiFi shop (I doubt they will have a 314 lying around) and having a listen to some floor standers or a different amp.

Anyone know a good store around Maidenhead?

Knyght_byte

Novice Member
7oaks might have a store, if you phone in advance and book a session they normally dont mind you bringing some of your own kit in to hook up to....