Amp upgrade?

burnssimon

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning all,

I currently have a MF M2Si driving a pair of MA 200 Silvers, a Tag AVR32 for preamp and home cinema duties. Honestly, I'm dead happy with it, HOWEVER have that itch!

I'm thinking of buying a new amp to replace the MF and looking for contenders in the c. £1,500 price bracket. I'm also looking to sanity check whether (factoring in the law of diminishing returns), I'm going to hear a noticeable improvement.

Am drawn to something from Nord Accoustics or the slightly leftfield option of a Leak Stereo 20. Obviously will audition, but anyone out there with similar set ups who've made upgrades where they've seen a significant improvement?

Listening wise, primarily music, either via Roon (Soncoz SGD1 DAC) and vinyl (Era Gold V with hybrid Rega TT).

Thanks in advance.

I know, it's ridiculous, I'm sat here listening to James Talyor thinking of how great it sounds, whilst googling reviews of power amps!

Honestly if you’re happy with what you have either go completely left field and try a new area like vinyl or invest in your content. You’ll enjoy it more for longer.

I know, it's ridiculous, I'm sat here listening to James Talyor thinking of how great it sounds, whilst googling reviews of power amps!
I've got a lot of JT's albums on both CD and SACD. Most of his recordings with perhaps the exception of Before This World are exceptional pressings. You certainly don't need power to listen to JT and if it's putting a smile on your face now, is there really a point in changing. Even upgrading the Silvers would make a dent in your pocket to get a really noticeable audio performance.

Perhaps bring a good CDP into the mix?

Actually, that's a good shout from both. Stop trying to fiddle with what I've got an introduce something new.

Have oft wondered about SACD, and there's plenty of music I like in that format. Means I have a whole new rabbit hole to disappear down!

Have you considered having your existing MF amp serviced and upgraded? That would help with the itch. There are quite a few people offering MF service and upgrades.

I recently had my amp, which was already good, upgraded. Very pleased with it and it cost far less than buying new.

M2 hell of a amp for the money think £2000-3000 to get a better sound

I think with what you have £1500 is going to be a sideways step and you’ll have the itch again in a year. Either buy more music or wait until you’ve saved up £3k.

I’d keep the amp and upgrade the speakers to MA Golds.

Money could be spent on better Source Turntable , CD player or Streamer
" Source 1st Rubbish in Rubbish out "

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom