Amp upgrade...wow wot a difference!

jonnboyy69

Novice Member
Not really relevant to anyone but poor old me, however I have to share my 1st proper "wow" audio experience :).
I just recently purchased a used Musical Fidelity A3.2cr integrated amp, this has replaced my trusty but ageing Marantz PM60ose. Sweet-jesus hallelujah! there is a miracle happening! My CM'1s have not only come alive but its the mc phono thats really surprised me, never has my vinyl sounded so clear and sweet almost cd like in clarity......(to me anyway lol)
The morale of my story is this; never give up searching and researching for your ideal sound, there is some nice used equipment out there to be grabbed at a reasonable price for novice noobs like me ....have fun ppl ! :thumbsup:

John

hon_bris

Standard Member
It's the name of the game John.

I am a relative noob to the hi-fi arena, but I recently "upgraded" my interconnects from CDP to Amp and it was like listening to a whole new system! I fear the next upgrade won't be so cheap though, but thankfully I'm very content with what I currently have.

Enjoy!

jonnboyy69

Novice Member
Ohhh ohhh.....speakerwire...... interconnects...mmmmmmm.....im beginning to twitch.....the upgrade twitch..... :D

FennerMachine

Speaker cable.
I recently changed from Chord Rumour 2 cable to unbranded, cheap 1.5mm pure copper cable.
Made an almost instant difference to the sound quality.
Overall prefer the cheap pure copper cable.
I will not even bother putting the Chord cable back on my system!
But that is just my personal experience. I can see (or hear!) why someone would like the Chord cable.
I have been trying to get a warmer sound for a while and the cable change was the icing on cake, that final little tweak that I needed.
Until the next one I need! (Want)

jonnboyy69

Novice Member
I must admit im in the "Ebay 2.5mm copper wire oxygen free" camp......:blush:....think i paid £1.50 a meter for the stuff n it does me. My interconnects are simple QED stuff bout £12 for 2 meter rca gold ends if i recall......alot of ppl on here will laugh and mock at my choices but then again maybe some will agree and smile knowingly......can of worms and taboo subject...just like mains conditioners and shud we bi-wire or not ....:)
Come to think about it.......my wife will never spot a few new wires here and there will she??:rolleyes:

FennerMachine

From personal experience, cables can make a difference depending on the rest of the system.
But it is usually a subtle difference unless you are trying polar opposite extremes of cables.
Again from personal experience, mains conditioning works, but only if your house needs it!

belloire

the whole cable debacle is a personal thing. i've recently changed from chord rumour 4 to talk 3, (biwire silver, to single wire copper) and whilst the difference is minimal there is a positive difference. i've also been involved in a 'ic test' and this time the difference wasn't subtle but massive! (the cables were £40 and £160, so there ought to be a difference)
still not sold on conditioners, they make little sense to me. regenerators make sense though. i think the house isn't really the issue i think it's wether the kit you have plugged in needs it (if that makes sense......)

never mind cable, just wait til you get some better speakers :) (not that there's anything wrong with CM1's, just the bug bites deep :))

Arcam_boy

Distinguished Member
Please don't turn this in to another cable debate thread. The OP wanted to talk about their amp upgrade.

Thanks

bluedroog

OP – Glad to hear you made a worthwhile upgrade, it's always a pleasure when you get these kind of results.

In terms of amp upgrades sometimes it is night and day and other times there is little difference, it really depends on the rest of your kit and in particular your speakers. It's partly down to sensitivity of speakers but also some speakers seem to thrive with better quality amplification in a way that specs cannot always show and the CM series from B&W are a classic example. When ever I've heard the CM series with a poor amp they sound bland, give them a beefy and quality amp and they come alive.

Some speakers don't seem to care what's driving them within reason.

jonnboyy69

Novice Member
Only problem I have with new integrated is the lack of speaker balance control. I can adjust the balance via the Yammy AV when watching home theatre 5.1 mode, however when listening to 2 channel audio thru the fronts I get uneven volume due to the slightly offset seating arrangement in the room.
Ive tried adjusting speaker positioning as best I can (they are wall mounted), but cannot get the balance perfect. Total re-positioning is not an option due to very small space constraints. Have looked into the B-Tech range of speaker volume adjust boxes however it seems their max watt handling is only 60watts @8ohms. My MF amp is 115watts per channel max @8ohms....not that I will ever reach that level lol.

Question is this; "Will I blow/overheat/melt anything by adding this little box to my right channel so I can slightly adjust its volume to desired volume balance?"

Should I open a new thread for this question also.........:confused:

jonnboyy69

Novice Member
Thanks for reply Blue, yes I went to shop to audition a few midrange shelf speakers, in particular the MA BX range and the B&W 685's. I felt the CM1's were less bass-boom and were more pronounced with mids and highs which suits my prefference, looks the job too :).
Trouble was that being a novice audio noob I didnt realise when I bought them that these things are fussy with amp pairing, and thus sound even better with a more capable amp than my old Marantz! it was a revelation in my simple world.... lol

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
I am still on my first 5.1 setup, will upgrade in a few years when I have a few thousand to spare...

lazarus

I remember upgrading an old sherwood receiver to an arcam alhga 10 amp and being utterly amazed at the difference. good memories lol.

the only thing ive found is that after a serious upgrade to a new and well made bit of kit is that it can expose the rest of the system and you start wondering...what if i bought a new cd player to match, what if i bought....what if i bought.....

then 10 years later you realise youve spent just as much on hifi equipment as you have on cars!

mykyll2727

Novice Member
I remember upgrading an old sherwood receiver to an arcam alhga 10 amp and being utterly amazed at the difference. good memories lol.

the only thing ive found is that after a serious upgrade to a new and well made bit of kit is that it can expose the rest of the system and you start wondering...what if i bought a new cd player to match, what if i bought....what if i bought.....

then 10 years later you realise youve spent just as much on hifi equipment as you have on cars!

Ain't it the truth!:facepalm:

amcluesent

You pay, you get.

scorpion88

Novice Member

scorpion88

Novice Member
New connects it is then......its a thankless task this audio thing isnt it.....sigh
As has already been stated the issue of the benefits of expensive cables has been done to death. IMO - new connects will not one make one iota of difference.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

scorpion88

Novice Member
Scorpion......u obviously not seen the state of mine mate.....:laugh:
Well dear boy as long as the connects are better than freebies (or slightly better) i.e £10 -£15 per interconnect max that will suffice IMO.

As far a s speaker cable is concerned I buy the 2.5mm cable from RS at circa £2.50 a metre of copper and find that sufficient.

Yes, of course I have not seen the state of yours but dread that experience:D.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...

Latest News

Samsung updates and expands access to Samsung TV Plus
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Disney+ UK introduces GroupWatch co-viewing feature
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Harman Kardon launches Citation Amp
  • By Andy Bassett