1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amp upgrade path

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by dave48, Jul 22, 2002.

1. dave48

dave48
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    After a recent bout of upgrading, I now have a full Jamo Concert surround setup (Concert 11's as fronts, Concert 8's as surrounds and a Concert Centre). This is being driven by a Denon 3802 (feeding into my Primare A30.1 for the fronts).

Due to an undefined techical glitch, my Primare is currently out of operation, so the Denon is having to drive the lot. To be honest, I think it is out of its depth - the drop in sound quality from the Denon/Primare setup is substantial.

So what is the next logical upgrade step?

My current thinking is to get a good 3 or 5 channel power amp (any ideas?) and use the Denon as a pre-amp for the moment, and then upgrade to a full AV amp processor when the bank balance has recovered.

Is this a sensible way to go? Stereo music reproduction is very important, so am not prepared to make any compromises there.

Dave48

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Just a suggestion:

Get a 2 channel power amp (for the fronts) and add a 5 channel amp later (all surrounds). And than, if your bank manager agrees, a processor.

That we you can instantly improve the stereo performance with minimal investment.

3. dave48

dave48
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Until the current technical glitch, I was using the Primare A30.1 for the fronts (using the pre-outs from the Denon). Although this means the signal is going through 2 pre-amp stages, it sounds much much better than connecting the front speakers to the Denon.

Dave48