Question Amp upgrade into 21st century

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Captain Jack, Jul 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have a Marantz SR4200 AV receiver, which I have owned for the past 13 years. It's getting a bit long in the tooth now and some small issues are getting on my and SWMBO's nerves.

The speakers set up is 5.0 Gales, which I am happy with. Our living room is small and it more than enough fills up the space.

So, I am on a lookout for a new amp, which must have the following features.

- at least 4x HDMI ports for switching (no 4K TV but 4K passthrough would be good)
    - 5.1 capable (don't really care about anything more than that)
    - must have good "night mode"/dynamic compression. Having your ears quite literally blown off during an explosion is getting tiring (Audyssey?)
    - would prefer an option to have an "automatic" setup with a microphone thing as I am useless getting it configured manually

I am not really bothered about networking or Blueteeth or any of the fancy featues. As long as it can decode AC3 and DTS directly, that's pretty much all I need.

Make wise - obviously, Marantz is top of the list as I have good experience with it and like the sound. Denon is another one of my favourites - mostly because of the name! Something like AVR-X1000 seems to fit the bill.

Budget - cheap! Definitely under 200 squids but the lower, the better :)

2. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,304
    You'll only get an X1000 used for under £200 on flea bay. If wanting new then its a Denon 520 that is your best bet.
    Denon AV Receiver

Marantz will again take you into the used department for your budget. Personally if you can stretch your budget then a Denon X2400 would be the best buy.

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,568
    'small issues' - what are you experiencing?

4K UHD - ideally if you want future proofing you will be looking to support 4K UHD with HDCP2.2, HDR, DV and any number of other 'new' video technologies.

Night Mode - be careful with assuming all devices which sport the 'Audyssey' badge will support 'Audyssey Dynamic Volume', they may do but always worth confirming before you assume!

Automated setup - are never foolproof, some Room and Speaker Combinations will through up poor results.

Joe

4. Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am more than happy with a pre-abused unit, so will have a nose around classifieds.

Click on the link in the original post under "small issues" :) Basically, it cuts out on optical input when first switched on.

The corner in our room will not take a TV larger than around 40" (currently have 37"), so it's not likely that we'll upgrade it to anything the size where we'll benefit from UHD.

Interesting - thanks for the heads up. So the ADV is what I should be looking out for.

I take your point on automated setups but my speaker arrangement is far from ideal, so wouldn't mind at least getting the starting point right.

What's reliability like these days from Denon and Marantz? I have a pre-loved Onkyo on my floor with a failed HDMI board and it looks like it's far from the only one in the world....

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,568
    Corner mounted TV - I would stick with a 2.0 or 2.1 system as achieving decent Surround Sound is nigh on impossible with a corner mounted TV/Seating layout and no 'automated' room EQ system is going to resolve that issue.

TV - at some point you may be forced by the Content owners and Hardware manufacturers to 'update' to support UHD if your current TV ever needs to be replaced.

Reliability - have a look through the various threads here on AVF for an idea of reliability, though total number of sales can skew the figures. We (TMF) tend to stick with Yamaha on most installs we undertake. (Note Some of the big 'Brands' share the same parent Co. - Sound United Announces Acquisition of D+M Group – Sound United).

Audyssey Labs - like Dolby, THX etc offers a range of products so always ensure you know which you require/are supported by any device you are considering.

Joe

6. Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Agreed, and I realise I will not get the best surround with my speaker locations. But as they are already installed....

Thanks for the answers - I think I have most of what I need.