• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Amp upgrade from Onkyo 505 worthwhile?

Ali Pervez

Established Member
Hi.

My current set up is Jamo 606 5.1 system (Jamo : Search : S606HCS6) and Onkyo SR505 amp. I am overall pretty happy with the setup and the sound quality I get. But now that I have put the projector and screen, I have started to watch more and more blu ray instead of DVDs.

I am wondering if I am missing anything in terms of audio quality available from the blu rays. Consider that I am not planning to go beyond 5.1 set up for speakers (7.1 or 7.2 etc), mainly driven by the room set up. In that case, would I get a better SQ if I upgrade my amp to a newer model which has the latest decoding processor (Dolby True HD etc).

Note I am not really interested in any fancy multimedia or networking features. Pretty happy to use Amp for sound and connecting the projector for video directly to PS3. ONLY reason I will get a new amp is if I can squeeze better sound out of the blu rays with rest of the set up unchanged.

Ali

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Hd audio is an improvement over the current sd audio you get now but it is not massive. It is more imersive but not a night and day change. Go have a listen to a hd amp and see what you think.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom