Amp upgrade from Denon UD-M31

luvlyjubly

Standard Member
Hi,

I recently grabbed some Elac B5.2 speakers when they were massively reduced on Amazon (£150), they sound fantastic but I'm now curious if they could sound even better. I am running them using an old Denon UD-M31 mini system fed by an audio Chromecast. I'm not fussed about losing the CD functionality of the mini system so I'm purely looking for an analogue stereo amp, if it has digital inputs then that's fine too but my understanding is that the DAC in the Chromecast is pretty good so wouldn't necessary benefit from using it's digital output.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, like most people I'm looking for best bang per buck, but I am on a budget, ideally sub £300?

I've read various reviews etc. and can see the Marantz 6007 and Rega IO are both excellent but slightly over my budget and then there's the Cambridge Audio AXA35 which looks good and is in budget, is this the best stereo amp for sub £300 and will it be a noticeable upgrade from the Denon?

Thanks, any help is much appreciated.

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
I'm looking for best bang per buck
That would be buying used. My go to recommendation is the Rotel RA-1062 which should be obtainable around £200-250. Power reserves well beyond it's 60W rating & would see you through several ore speaker upgrades. They come up reasonably frequently on Ebay but the only one on there at the moment is well over-priced at £375 & collection only

If you want something newer the previous gen Marantz PM6006 should also be in budget.

Last edited:

luvlyjubly

Standard Member
That would be buying used. My go to recommendation is the Rotel RA-1062 which should be obtainable around £200-250. Power reserves well beyond it's 60W rating & would see you through several ore speaker upgrades. They come up reasonably frequently on Ebay but the only one on there at the moment is well over-priced at £375 & collection only

If you want something newer the previous gen Marantz PM6006 should also be in budget.
Thanks a lot for that, will take a look at the Rotel. Cheers.

Ascotbilly

I had the UDM31 for years, great little system.
This is worth considering…

luvlyjubly

Standard Member
I had the UDM31 for years, great little system.
This is worth considering…

Excellent, thanks for the tip, so I trust you found it a worthwhile and noticeable upgrade over the old Denon?

Ascotbilly

I’ve not heard that amp tbh, but I had the RN602 which was an all in one version and much better than the Denon.

If you were considering used it’s worth checking the classifieds on here as the sellers are genuine and you’re not likely to be ripped off

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom