Amp upgrade dilemma

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by AnilS, Mar 4, 2005.

1. AnilS

AnilS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Hello all, this is my first post. :hiya:

I am looking for amp advice (and later, speakers). My current setup is as follows;

Arcam Alpha 5 amp
    Technics SL-PS770A CD player
    Denon TU-215 RD Tuner
    Aiwa AD-F850 (3 head) Cassette deck
    Mordaunt Short 25i Pearls (Biwired with Cable Talk 3 cables)
    Stands Unique rack

I find that the system is now lacking a bit of oomph, and the amp gets a bit shouty (loses control) at 60% - 70% volume. Its not always that loud, but I can't help it with Linkin Park in the CD player :D .

I have read the threads and here are my questions;

1. I've always liked the idea of owning an Audiolab amp. These can be found secondhand, but would I be buying trouble?
    2. Are there new amps out there that now sound better than Audiolabs, for not silly money. My budget is £500.
    3. I also like the idea of going preamp and power amp, so an Audiolab C+P sounds good, but in reality, am I better off getting an amp like the Marantz PM7200 (or a NAD).

I've been away from the HiFi game for a bit (can you tell from my setup :rotfl: ) so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance, AnilS. :)

2. felix_li

felix_li

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I upgraded (to include 5.1) from Audiolab C+P to AV Amp. Pioneer AX-5Ai last Dec. Maybe the technology is changing so fast these days and I found the Pio. sounds as good or even better than C+P. I did try using AX-5Ai as pre and 8000P as power and the result is almost the same as AX-5Ai alone. See if you would increase your budget.

3. AnilS

AnilS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Felix, thanks for the reply.

Maybe the technology has moved fast as I was hoping to keep Hifi away from Home Cinema. I have a Toshiba 32ZD08 (with its own speakers), Toshiba 200E DVD and Paradigm PDR10 Sub. This does me for now, although I know its basic (Kids would stand higher volumes).

Maybe I'm old fashioned (and wannabe purist :D ) but I'm open to suggestions, hence keeping my budget down. If that Pioneer is that good, maybe I could extend my budget, and have it do it all?

Regards, AnilS.

4. Gixxerblade

Gixxerblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    If you are just after an amp upgrade I have an Arcam A85 for sale in the classifieds which might suit your future requirements.

5. AnilS

AnilS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    I can only see Todays Classifieds, and your not there?

Is there a way to get to the "archived" classifieds?

AnilS.

6. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,152
    Check this thread

7. AnilS

AnilS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227

Thanks. :thumbsup:

A85 seems a touch pricey (or maybe I've lost touch of secondhand values :rolleyes: ).

I only say as I've been offered (already :eek: ) an Audiolab C+P combo for £400!

Getting very confused, AnilS. :suicide:

8. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the Audiolabs are good, if not brilliant performers (I have C & 2 P's)...theyre a super buy at £400, but for belting out Linkin Park they were not designed...they go loud and pump out plenty of current, its just a bit flat in those frequency extremes and dynamics

ahh, what the heck - with a budget of £500 its gonna be hard to find the perfect upgrade (diminishing returns and all). flog your amp and speakers for what you can (£100?)

Throw in another £100 into the mix, and hunt down a pair of B&W DM603 S2/S3's for £300. I doubt you'll be disappointed. Remember the Audiolab 8000C has an excellent phono stage and headphone amp as a bonus too.

9. AnilS

AnilS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Superpixel Thanks. :thumbsup:

Maybe I'm going about this all wrong. In my day, Audiolabs were "royalty". I suppose the game is moving on.

For power then, do I go down the NAD and ROTEL route?

BTW, I like the B&Ws.

AnilS.

10. SKA.face

SKA.face

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Audiolab would be a exellent buy at that price,streaks aheads of a Arcam alpha 5,I would go for them,but I would match them with better speakers than then the 600 series,I would look for at least CDM1/SE/P5/6,all good S/H prices that will go well with Audiolab.

11. AnilS

AnilS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Cheers mate.

Will look into the Audiolab route. Read somewhere that Audiolab are making a comeback. Is this true?

AnilS.

12. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Audiolabs were royalty in What-HiFi I think. Or should I say royalties. :D

Power and powerful sounding are two different things, and dont necessarily go hand in hand. No brand new amp at £400 is gonna come close to those Audiolabs in sheer quality: you could drive most speakers under £1500 with that combo.

For thrashing out the metal, but in an 'audiophile' style, and buying in this country (repairs on imports can be so expensive as to be useless), then the top Rotel power amps and a pair of B&W DM603/604s are what I compare anything to first. But you can't get a Rotel combo for £400 that I know of, and the Audiolabs will do, especially for the money.

With all due respect, B&W's other ranges are all but useless for rocking and rolling...

13. AnilS

AnilS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Seems I have a few ear bashing sessions planned at some HiFi shops to get an idea. :D

AnilS.

14. AnilS

AnilS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
  15. dmurfet

dmurfet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you like Audiolab, perhaps you should wait a little longer and wait for Tag/Maclaren prices to drop even more. The dealers are bailing out of them now thew brand name appears to be over. I understand this kit to be rebranded Audiolab...perhaps I'm wrong but there are a lot of peeps out there who forked out a lot of money and now they all want out.......

16. AnilS

AnilS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Dmurfet, sound advice (excuse the pun).

I have browsed Ebay, but don't trust it. I too heard Audiolab might make a comback, but spoke to the chaps at Music Matters who feel they face a mighty challenge in re-entering the market, given the high standards set by Arcam, Cyrus and Roskan, to name but three.

AnilS.

17. AnilS

AnilS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Right then, I now have acquired the Audiolab 8000C but need a Power amp. It may seem obvious to get an 8000P (and I do want one so heres your chance to tempt me ;) ) but will the C match any power amp from other manufacturers (just to keep my options open)?

I've heard the C+P and sounds great but cannot remember the interconnect used between the two. Any advice here would be useful also.

Regards, AnilS.

18. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    I too bought the AX5-Ai and have it connected via the L-R pre-outs to an Audiolab 8000A that handles the L-R front speaker duties.

I was a bit amazed by your post as I too tried all speakers via the Pioneer and compared it to the Audiolab driving the L-R fronts with the Pioneer driving the surrounds and centre. I found that the sound from the L-R fronts using the Audiolab via the L-R pre-outs won hands down, not only for home cinema, but particularly for CD.

:confused: