1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amp Upgrade Advice

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by DJBlade, Jul 19, 2005.

1. DJBlade

DJBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Hi, which would be the best upgrade route for me, stick with the A32 and add power amp and multi channel card, or, buy av8 p7 (used), or, p7 with different processor ?

the current amp/processor conf has worked wonderfully for me over the last few years, but i constantly have a yearning to have arcam amps powering all channels

thanks in advance for any input guys......

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    If you want to get the best out of AV sources, particularly DVD movies I would suggest going down the AV8 + P7 route as this will offer far better processing and speaker management than the DV27A can. You can still use your A32 in conjunction with this setup by using the processor input mode. This wouod allow you to use the A32 and two of the channels from the P7 to biamp your front speakers. You then still have 5 channels of amplification for the rest of the speakers. If it is a 5.1 channels setup you can then bimap the centre channel too and drive thr rears as normal leavin one channel unused. Alternatively you you drive the centre channel normally and biamp each of the surrounds, maybe get a single monoblock later to biamp the centre too at a alter date. If you have a 7.1 channel system then you can still drive all 7 speakers and still biamp the fronts using the A32.

3. DJBlade

DJBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Thanks for that, but if i got the av8/p7 set up, i'd have to sacrifice the a32 to help finance the upgrade, this is the route i was thinking of though, but i've noticed over the last few months on ebay when people have bid on a p7, they dont go for the av8, any idea's why, i presume they think another brand of processor works better ?

4. Dillon

Dillon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another alternative would be to use an AVP700 for processing duties, use the A32 in processor mode for the front pair, and add a P35/3 power amp for the rears and centres. This would come in less than the AV8 route, and you still have the A32 for hi-fi duties. Subject to auditioning, this is what I'm planning for my A32.

Cheapest option would be to use an AVR300 for processing and rear/centre amplification, and again use the A32 for fronts.

5. DJBlade

DJBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
  6. Ambo

Ambo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Nice one-you won't regret it and it's a sweet solution for your music and AV needs. I've bi-amped my front L/R channels as mine's a 5.1 setup and that makes it sound even better :smashin: I'd recommend you use Stereo Direct mode for music as it makes a significant improvement when the digital processing is switched off.

Happy listening! :D