• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Amp upgrade advice

Sardonicus

Standard Member
Hi guys,

This might be a tricky one but I`d like the advice of those here who 1) know what they`re talking about and 2) will give impartial advice.

I currently run a Yamaha RX-V361 with a pair of Wharfdale Diamond 7`s connected. I have the 360 running through it via component and I also have a blu-ray player (Sony BDPS370) and a CD player running off it as well. I have a PS3 that runs via HDMI via the only socket on my ageing Samsung 32" LCD.

I`m looking to upgrade my amp this winter, and was thinking about the Onkyo TXSR308 as it will allow me to shift the likes of the 360/PS3/blu-ray player over to HDMI and also leave me future-proofed. I also want to be able to continue to enjoy music as well, so would the Onkyo help me achieve this? I really like the sound my beloved old Yamaha kicks out and as such was wondering if the Yamaha RX-V367 would make a good alternative?

I`m looking for quality of sound as much as the ability to continue to take advantage of video switching in the one unit and want to be armed with as much info before I make a final decision.

Any help gratefully recieved as always AVF :smashin:

PSM1

Distinguished Member
The Onkyo would be a better match to your Wharfedale speakers but they are not known for their musical ability. The Yamaha will give you a sound you are more used to and may prefer.
The issue is all the recievers you are looking at are bottom of the range models and these come with compromises. The first is sound quality as they are not going to be the best at music (although probably comparable to your current reciever). The other is features with the Onkyo not having auto setup and the Yamaha not decoding HD audio (although does have auto setup). If your bluray player can decode all HD formats and output via HDMI (not all can) then the lack of decoding on the Yamaha will not be an issue. If at all possible I would try to stretch to the next level of amp i.e. Yamaha 465 since this will give you an improvement in sound quality but also both HD decoding and also autosetup. The other option would be to go for one of last years models if you can find one as these are currently on heavy discount i.e. the Sony 2400 has been sold for £200 recently. These will not have 1.4 HDMI but will represent great value for money.

Sardonicus

Standard Member
Many thanks for the input (excuse the pun :D). I knew this would be a bit of an odd request for help, so appreciate the help.

I totally understand the reasoning behind recommending going higher up the chain in regards to receivers, but my budget is incredibly tight, hence the choices listed. I`m also well aware that they`ll never compete with a dedicated stereo amp, so compromise has to be reached.

I`m definitely giving the Yamaha RX-V367 some serious consideration as to my previous experience with the range, but if the Wharfdales will work well with the Onkyo that brings it back into contention. I`ll be looking to upgrade them to a set of 10`s in the new year when budget allows as I feel comfortable with that make and the sound they produce.

Will be going shopping next week, will take on board the advice and update with my choice, thanks again :smashin:

Sardonicus

Standard Member
Anyone know of a reputable online retailer selling the RX-V367? Went into town to Richer Sounds and to say they were most unhelpful would be an understatement :nono: So sod them will give my money to a company who actually wants it.

Richer Sounds

Prominent Member
AVForums Sponsor
Anyone know of a reputable online retailer selling the RX-V367? Went into town to Richer Sounds and to say they were most unhelpful would be an understatement :nono: So sod them will give my money to a company who actually wants it.

Hi altern-8

I was most disappointed to read that your local branch appears to have been unhelpful on your recent visit.

Indeed, so that I may investigate this situation further - both to find out what went wrong, and also to prevent any similar situation from occurring again in the future - please would you private message me with some further information and your contact details?

Of course, if you are still in the market for a Yamaha RXV367 then please do let me know and I will arrange to get one of these for you asap.

In the meantime, my sincere apologies for the obvious inconvenience caused and I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Many thanks,

John Clayton
Operations Director
Richer Sounds

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom