amp upconvert -

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by sparkymarky, Sep 2, 2007.

1. sparkymarky

sparkymarky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    just wondering what the benefits are of using the upconverter in my ax2av amp.

q1. what actually is this upconversion? not an upscale i assume so what is the benefit? eg connect sky by s video to amp then upconvert to hdmi out to screen but surely you start of with s video so the signal isn't going to get better? after all, hdmi is just a method of carrying data not an improved signal itself?

so whats the benefit of upconverting? is it just to have one cable to projector/panel?

q2. would connecting my 576i sd dvd player to amp via component then upconverting to hdmi give better pic than componant straight to projector/panel? i think not?

q2a in addition does the amp de interlace when upconverting thus adding another stage of processing and degrading the picture signal?

just queries in anticipation of a possible projector on the horizon:)

if anyone can highlight the actual signal benefits/negatives it would be appreciated

2. spooney

spooney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +204
    Indeed multiple input but one output is one of the benefits. It could also be the AVR does a better job compared to the attached DVD player

AVRs with this feature will do all the processing from pass-thru to whatever highest resolution including de-interlacing they are capable of.
    E.g., if the specs say 1080i there will be no de-interlacing but if it says 1080p it will.
    Upscaling is sometimes a painful experience. It really depends on the panel/projector at the end of the chain.
    Although projectors usually provide true HD resolutions (720 or 1080) especially TVs have weird resolutions in terms of HD.

As a matter of fact all panels have to convert the input signal to the panel's native resolution. There is no way around. If your panel has 1366x768 for example. How does this compute to 720p which is a player's or AVR's output?
    Apparently it does not and the panel has to recompute to its 1366x768.
    Potentially your player or AVR have the option of a computer output resolution. You might find 768 lines as option but 1366 horizontally very likely not.

As a conclusion and as you have already recognized: The more processing the worse the pciture quality.

3. rEVILospud

rEVILospud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    It may also be worth noting that it may also depend on how well your display handles analogue and digital sources.
    For example, on my display, the overscan introduced over Component is quite major, whereas HDMI has none.

The benefit of upconversion is mainly the one cable solution as you mentioned.

As for the de-interlacing, best to check the manual or indeed just check what your display says it is receiving.