Amp under-sized?? Marantz PM-47 (40w) amplifier + JPW P1 (70w) speakers.

I use these on my cabinet placed speakers.

You could certainly try your archery foam. The idea is to decouple the speakers from the cabinet in order to stop vibration and resonance. The more sturdy the actual cabinet the less likelihood of vibration as well.

@Ugg10 The foam you posted looks very much like my archery target boards. Except for the slope cuttings.

@gibbsy @Ugg10

Just finish cutting the archery board (hard foam). Before cutting, the board dimension was 50cm x 50cm. And the JPW's base is 25cm x 25cm. So I use exactly half the board.

Do I place the speakers directly on the foam OR do I have to place spikes between them?

A1A76431-96E1-4B3F-893E-DD534AF79DD0.jpeg

for a test I would not bother cutting them just put them on the tv stand top with the speakers on top of them. As @gibbsy says it is best to bring the Bloch and speaker to the front of the tv stand if you can. Try this first and seee how it goes. If you like the sound then you can make it pretty later. You may also want to start with the speaker facing straight out and then slightly angled in towards the seating position and see if it improves the sound. Do,this for both of your speakers separately and see which you like the sound of best and in what position. Have fun.

One more question :

Does it matter the wire connecting a speaker and amplifier is black-black and red-red? What if they are connected black-red and black-red? My wires are laid in a sealed ceiling. I can't tell if the points are black or red.

One more question :

Does it matter the wire connecting a speaker and amplifier is black-black and red-red? What if they are connected black-red and black-red? My wires are laid in a sealed ceiling. I can't tell if the points are black or red.
Red is plus, black is minus. If you connect the wires wrong, the sound well not be great.

It we’ll be out of phase. Therefore usually terminated wires from the shop are label plus and minus.

Then connect plus to plus on both amplifier, speakers. Same with black.

If the wires are not terminated as above. You need to use bare wire, or connect the wires with banana plugs. The banana plugs are label red and black.

If the wires are laid in the ceiling, there should be easy to see which is which.

You can decide this your self. As example if one off the wires is designed differently.

As example round design, ridge. This could be red or black. Then you do the same on the other end,

If the wires are difficult to tell apart. You simply need to mark one off the wires with black tape.

As I said it’s pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

@Helix Hifi Thanks. I have been wrongly assumed it is OK to connect oppositely since the current is AC and it still sounds. Maybe that was why I wasn't happy with the sound quality and deserted the system for the past 17 years. I really can't believe (now blaming myself) I let it collecting dust for almost 2 decades. Now I started falling in love with it.

I am so excited. I have ordered some new wires, banana plugs (didn't even know such things existed two days ago), vibration dampeners, Bluetooth digital to analog converter with pre-amp etc. Once they have arrived I will remove the speakers from the ceiling and place them next to my TV as suggested by almost everyone in this thread.

I really appreciate all the valuable advice given.

A80C77B5-EA24-4093-95A2-E6F58F774FD4.jpeg

17 years! 😮. Well as they say. Never say never.

The new wires I ordered online just arrived.

One side is copper; the other side is tinned copper.

Question: Which side (copper or tinned) do I connect to the red plug, which to the black plug of the speakers/amplifier??

355C8051-1CD0-4829-892E-473FB7A81CE6.jpeg

The grey one is tinned copper I believe...

You can decide self which way you want to connect the wires,

Never seen this cables before. I would connect the copper ones to the black connection, then tinned copper ones to red connection.

You have to wait for other members to help you too, since I’ve never seen this cables before.

I would use normal 14 gauge speaker cables.

Which are clearly labeled red and plus.

The grey one is tinned copper I believe...

You can decide self which way you want to connect the wires,

Never seen this cables before. I would connect the copper ones to the black connection, then tinned copper ones to red connection.

You have to wait for other members to help you too, since I’ve never seen this cables before.

I would use normal 14 gauge speaker cables.

Which are clearly labeled red and plus.

This is what I bought. Couldn't find a better one online.

2C4F99ED-5B53-41E4-A712-7F6B4C531ACD.jpeg

Amazon product ASIN B091JB6324
This ones. Terminated with banana plugs.

You could probably use the ones you have now. I advice applying banana plugs on the wires.

Last edited:
Amazon product ASIN B091JB6324
This ones. Terminated with banana plugs.

You could probably use the ones you have now. I advice applying banana plugs on the wires.
I think the wires' (the one I bought) quality is good. When I cut and removed the plastic insulator, there is another thinner/inner plastic insulator.

I bought the "Nakamichi" banana plugs below at less than US$1 per piece. Made in China.

BDD892A3-CF7C-48E1-A37B-CC9BA506E841.jpeg

C3634CF2-75B2-4787-A4A7-2FC47CACE46C.jpeg

F185E200-0766-46D1-9723-F77F05B350EF.jpeg

How many meters do you need for each speakers? Over 10 meters I would buy 4 mm cables.

3-5 meters 16 gauge is fine,

@Helix Hifi
Just repositioned the speakers a few minutes ago. Below the speakers are hard foams. Will add 4 rubber dampeners below each foam.

4DFE5419-D662-4A88-AA2E-A1E24FBA86E1.jpeg

You might early reflection from the tv.

But the advices you’ve gotten so far, we’ll probably work just fine.

Just repositioned the speakers a few minutes ago.
Bring the speakers forward so that they are sitting proud of the edge of the cabinet by around 25mm. That will help with reflected audio.

I just tested the vibration on my cabinet as suggested by everyone here.

This was what I tested for the cabinet's vibration level.

1. Speaker sitting directly on TV cabinet without foam.

2. Speaker on foam.

3. Lift the speaker one inch above the foam (not touching the base) and gradually increase to 1 ft.

I didn't feel much reduction of vibration between 1 and 2. There are two reasons. Firstly, the foam is too hard. Secondly, I believe more of the vibration came from the sound bouncing on the cabinet rather than direct vibration from the speaker. The can be proven as I asked my wife to lift the speaker higher and higher (hence lesser vibration).

I have changed my mind. I will try getting a pair of stands immediately instead of at a later stage.

I found the wooden stands below. A pair for about US$40. The height of 60cm is perfect for me. The central column to be filled by sand. See photos attached.

The only thing I worry is the upper plate has a dimension of only 18.5cm x 23.5cm. The base of my JPW P1 speaker is 25cm x 25cm. Do you think it will be stable enough? I worry my wife might accidentally hit the speakers cleaning house.

1CEB4B7F-DE4B-43C8-849B-87AF88CAFE66.jpeg
A796E8C2-0645-468D-B4B8-6AF894E46452.jpeg
290CC783-99CB-4632-9513-53D9A007651C.jpeg
9EF9B0F5-3704-4C7B-802D-5B356A767F7F.jpeg

You can use Blu Tack underneath the speakers, or 3 mm tape. There’s little chance they well fall on the floor then.

In the end you need to try yourself.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom