1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amp to partner KEFs

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Spy, Jan 11, 2004.

1. Spy

Spy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    Dear All,

I have been reading all the reviews and also asked a few questions on here.

I have a budget of £1200 (hoping for £100 per months on 12 months interest free) to spend on an amp, speakers, cable and stands (if required).

A already own a Sony 32FX60 TV and Sony S725D DVD player.

I am assuming that the Sony DVD player is acceptable as it was a top notch player a few years ago.

I am pretty sure the KEF 2005.2 (eggs) are what I am after. Assuming I can get these ate a discount or in a package, which Amp should I be going for ?

I have been considering the Pioneer 912, Yamaha 740 or Marantz 7300 ? Which one should I go for or maybe some other one :confused:

I would like the amp to fill a room of approx 15ft x 16ft. The sound should be powerful in terms of bass and room filling ability with great surround effects steering and placement.

Any help appreciated

Regards Spy

2. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
  3. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Spy,

I've just bought a set of eggs with a Denon 1804 amp, and to my ears, it's a great combination. I compared the Denon against the Yamaha 640, and while there wasn't a great deal of difference for home-cinema applications, I thought the Denon much more capable at music playback.

The eggs aren't too hard to drive, so unless you're likely to want to upgrade in the near future, you should be ok with something like the 1804, the Yam 640, Marantz 5400, or Pio 812/912.

There are lots of happy folks on the forums that use the kefs with either a Denon 1803/1804 or a Yam 640/740, so it's really what sounds good to you that matters.

The best advice I can give is to book a session at your local hifi store and listen to the amps that you're interested in.

Incidentally, creative-audio.co.uk have some good deals on Kef egg packages: around £1000 for eggs, amp (1804, 640, or 812), and a set of cables. You may be able to get another store to price-match this, and save yourself some money.

Good luck,

Balders.

4. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    If you go for the eggs look here they don't interest free but you could get a 0 percent credit card that gives you six months and then swap after that and get another six,someone at work is on his third cc.

5. Spy

Spy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    Thanks for all the useful info.

I did see the Creative Audio package which has influenced my thinking on what I can afford :)

I will try and setup a sessin to audition some of the amps mentioned.

Saying that, does anyone know how the 740 compares to the 640 as there are some cracking offers on the 740 online

6. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    The 740 has a bit more power, an LCD remote, and an on-screen display.

Empire Direct seem to be selling them for less than the 640 though, so I know which I'd buy if I was making the choice!

I think the 740 only comes as a receiver too, whereas the 640 is available as an amp or a receiver.

Balders.

7. Gordon A

Gordon A

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I also recently got the Kefs with the Denon AVR1804 and the combination sounds ace. The local Audio-T price matched Creative's deal so got the whole lot with speaker cable and leads for £990. :clap:

8. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I will be getting the kefs later in the year but will be getting a new amp in the next few weeks. Is it worth buying the Denon 2802 amp in a 9ft by 9ft bedroom or will one the Denon amps the guys above have suggested be more than adequate?

The other amp I was thinking of is the new Sony amp reviewd in the latest Home Cinema choice magazine.

9. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Whats the best out of
    Denon 1804 £297
    Denon 1604 £222
    Denon 1803 £250
    Denon 2802 £300
    Pioneer VSX D812 £300
    Sony STR DB 790 £200 rrp £300

I dont know which is best and which would suit my room for example would 6.1 be anygood in a square room sized 9ft by 9ft.

10. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Just done a search and seems the Marantz 5300 is better than the ones I have mentioned. I have seen it for sale for £99 bargin

11. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    It would have been more than a bargin,if that was from empire direct they have sold out as well as some of the others you mention.

12. Spy

Spy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    SuperFi are doing the Yamaha 740 for £350 - the deal is at teh bottom of their home (main) page) !!

13. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    The place I saw it at have it in stock along with the other amps I have mentioned. I dont know which to go for though :(.

14. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Another amp is the Marantz SR5400 £350. The thing putting me off that amp is that it only has 2 optical outputs. I will give you links to these prices after I have ordered an amp.
    Idont want to post links then get told I should buy x amp and find it sold out cos you lot have bought it :rotfl: , you more than likely know the places anyway.

15. gunrock

gunrock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    For you budget I would recommend you demo a NAD T762 or T763 (the new model), it'll have more than enough power for your room size and a pretty good match for your Kef Eggs.

I use a NAD T752 with my Celestion AVP305's (which are a very similar speaker and sub set, manufactured by Kef's sister company Celestion) and the reason I didn't buy the T762 was that I didn't want or need 7.1 (although I can do that with the T752 by adding a stereo amp at a later date) and at a guaranteed 80 watts per channel, it fills my 15 by 16ft room with ease.

Hope this helps,

Gunrock

16. Spy

Spy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    Cheers Crazzy - good luck with the purchase and the posting of the retailer !