1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amp to match Arcam P7

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by sticker, Sep 2, 2003.

Tags:
  1. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I want to Bi amp my front 3 speakers, what amp can I use to match my current Arcam P7?

Cheers
    John

2. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is that P7 as in the FMJ P7? If so then I'm sure those things follow the same design of the Arcam FMJ P35 Power amps which can be upgraded to 3 channel status. Though not sure how you would run it along side your P7. That's some system you've got there BTW, I'm jellous :D

3. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,034
    As I understand it you can configure the P7 to run in bi-amp mode? ie 2 channels for each of the front 2 speakers. You would then use a P25/P35 to run the 2 centre rear channels (assuming your set up is 7.1)

I had both a 2 channel P25 and 3 channel P25 for sale on here last week but had to remove them due to a complete lack of interest :(

4. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys for your input.

Will the P35 be a precise sonic match for the P7?

Been looking around for another P7 2nd hand but they seem to be as rare as rocking horse poo !!!

5. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Another P7 would be ideal sticker! As an alternative you might want to consider using 6 channels of the P7 to bi-amp the front three channels (this would be better than trying to integrate a P35 in withthe P7) and using the P35/3 or similar for those rears not connected to the remaining channel of the P7. Finally our new P1 monoblocks would be even better for the main front channels :)

HTH.

John Dawson (Arcam)

6. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your thoughts John.

Would love to have P1's for the front channels but out of my price range unfortunately :( Perhaps in the future I can tri amp the front three channels using these..................if I win the lottery ;)

Will give the P35/P25 some thought for the remaing 4 channels (R & S), but probably will think about another P7 as I'm so impressed with its output. This will enable me to tri-amp the front 3 and still have enough for the remaining 4 channels. Will have to keep my eyes open on ex-dem etc.

Regards
    John

7. gazzerr

gazzerr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sticker,

What speakers did you demo before you decided upon the Kef's? I'm still thinking about getting a pair of floostanders for stereo duties.

8. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Garry,
    The speakers I demo'ed before deciding on the Kef's were

B&W N805
    B&W N803
    PMC FB1 (already have these is a stereo setup)
    Spendor S8
    Monitor audio gold 20 & 10
    Proac 125
    Wilson Benesch arc
    Kef ref 3.2

All had their plus points but the 203's were to my ears the best, especally in the detail dept.
    The N805's didn't have the bass for me and I thought the N803 lacked mid range detail. I
    love the PMC's and it was a close call as to these and the Kef's.
    Spendor's felt a bit too laid back for my tastes.
    The MA 20 I didn't really like and the 10's lacked bass.
    The proac's were very nice but they didn't, how shall I say "float my boat".
    The WB were very nice and it was difficult to fault them but for HC they didn't seem to have the sound spread.
    The 3.2's were very good and the sound was to my taste, if it wasn't for the 203's I would have bought these.

Hope I don't get flamed for these views, they are very much personal opinions.
    Cheers
    John

9. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You must have loads of space, where would you put two P7's they're huge?? Bet it would sound great though. I take it you don't have to contend with the WAF!!

Not that it's any help, but I have my front L/R speakers bi-amped as I've only got a 5.1 system, and I think it sounds awesome.

10. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Certainly no flaming on the way here...just an observation that getting good bass out of the 805s is very amplifier dependent....I originally demo'd these with a Tag 5 channel amp at a local dealer,but had also heard the CDM1 being used with Chord amps elsewhere,and knew they could do a lot better for bass with a good amp.
    With the Krells I use,the 805s produce good controlled bass(and I had a set of Linn Keltiks previously,so I do know what deep bass is like!).
    Your comments about the WB Arcs are also spot on...lovely looking and well made,but the sound is confined to the boxes somewhat....IMHO.

11. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tracey,
    Got a space left on my rack (futureglass) and I tried bi-aming the front speakers and they did indeed sound very good. I'm very impressed with the power of the P7. In fact, and you may be able to comment, the two things that I have noticed about the P7 is that in the 2 odd months I've had it it seems to have got better. Also it is better at higher volumes. What's your thoughts?

P7 doesn't need WAF, its the best looking amp imo!!!!

Alex2,
    I hear what you say re the 805's and it corresponds what the guy said in the shop. He was trying to get me to listen/buy the sig versions, but he said the best amp for them was the chord something or other (huge thing with blue lights about 12" high). Thought he was trying to get me to spend loads more :)

whats your thoughts re amps getting better after a few months running and also sounding better at higher volumes?

Cheers
    John

12. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    btw, how much is the Arcam P7?

I managed to buy eight channels of amplification (four 2 channel poweramps, 100Wx2) for about £2100. At that time no decent multi-channel poweramps were available (for a reasonble price)

What can you buy now for £2100? (at least 7 channels)

13. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nathan,
    The rrp of the P7 is £2.5k but you can get it for less if you haggle.
    Cheers
    John

14. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for that. Just checking the Peak output spec- 22 amps per channel. I believe my amps are 45 amps per channel. :)

I thought the Arcam had seperate torodials per channel (like the Tag one) guess not.

I guess the P7 is a good price- considering the Rotel 1095 is £1800? and only 5 channels (although 200W P.C.)

15. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    Sticker,

B&W Signature 805s are a big step up in quality from the Nautilus 805s. (Also much more expensive, of course). They do need a decent amp, but an Arcam would be more than adequate.

16. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Nathan - the P7 has two toroids shared between 7 channels, with separate secondary windings for each channel. The L and R channels are assigned to different toroids. In practice this is a better solution than one small toroid for each channel, as you rarely get all channels having to deliver large power levels simultaneously so can use the benefit of large well regulated twin toroids to get the best output from the overall system.

As to peak currents we specify our amplifiers for each half cycle only, whether positive or negative. Many other amps specify peak to peak current which is frankly misleading - on this rating the P7 makes 44 amps. In any case into real world loads at real world listening levels our peak current delivery is, in the words of Rolls Royce, "sufficient".

HTH.

John Dawson (Arcam)

17. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John, you're showing your age :laugh:

18. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Actually I am still waiting for the age when I can acquire one of them (well perhaps not a RR but you get the idea!).

John Dawson

19. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's funny you should say that because I thought the same, it does seem to be getting better every time I listen to it, I am constantly impressed with it and it can go so loud without a hint of distortion I think my ear drums would burst before the amp even broke out into a sweat. It will be interesting to see what it sounds like when I move into my new house which is bigger but I don't think I'll have any problems. For music I never have the volume above 45 and that is extremely loud, movies between 35 - 40. It does sound better the louder it is (unlike some amps which start to make your ears bleed) but I also think it's got amazing detail at low volumes, whether that is due to the amp or my speakers or both I don't know, but at least it means I can still enjoy listening to music when it's getting late.

20. kryten

kryten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    The P7 certainly doesn't seem short of power in the caves of moria section of LOTR when played at +5dB over reference level - I had to readjust pictures all over the house afterwards :)

Bass control is simply stunning and detail at all volumes is superb.

21. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    +5db over ref, do you have any eardrums left :eek: :eek: :eek:

I've only managed to take it up to -5db for the opening of AOTC. Asked my uncle if he had ever heard a HC (he said yes, his friend had a Sony DAV800!!!!) so I played him AOTC, he was a quivering wreck and went all jelly legged, did I laugh :laugh:

22. kryten

kryten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I wasn't actually in the same room at the time!

It was part of my setup procedure - my son sleeps in the room above the hifi and I was checking how loud it was in there for different levels to see which one I could get away with so I didn't wake him up (and get a severe b******ing off my wife).

I can't listen at dolby reference level when I'm in the same room but it was interesting to see how much the pictures all over the house shook - it got even worse when I turned the sub on!!

23. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I quite agree with your feelings there...the Chords are great amps,and somewhat like British Krells in terms of sound quality and delivery,but similar prices.

I do think that all of the Nautilus range benefit from really good quality amps though,and the load can be quite demanding.

Better amps...always a difficult question,since so much depends on your individual preferences,and it's taken me years to find something that suits what I want perfectly,to the point where I would only change what I have for an amp of equal vintage,the Levinson 20.5 .. up to a point,you will always find something better until you hit your price/ear/WAF limits!...luckily my wife has learnt to put up with large steel boxes at one end of the lounge.