Question Amp to LG Smart TV advice

JobsonH

Novice Member
Hi guys

I have some cambridge audio s30 speakers so finally decided to hook them up to my LG TV (LG 55UK6950PLB Product Support :Manuals, Warranty & More | LG U.K.). I bought this amp as wanted to connect with toslink and have the ability to play music via phone bluetooth:

AMP-2 DG Stereo Hi-fi Amplifier

Bluetooth works well from phone and tv (although picture and sound a little out of sync) but having an issue with using optical from TV. Checked all settings on the TV but optical didn't work at all so I bought a different toslink cable which worked for a few minutes before it started crackling when I moved the amp a few centimetres and has been silent ever since. I checked the cable with the red 'light' coming out of the other end when TV output is selected as optical, and also switched the cable around to check the same thing/

So i am stumped with this, I have seen other threads (here and elsewhere) about people having issues with LG and amps. There is no analogue output on the TV so am looking to either use HDMI with an adapter to RCA. My question is, is this even possible as the adapters I have seen are marketed to connect old DVD players and similar to new TVs. Also looking at getting a DAC using toslink from TV to adapter then connect RCA to the amp.

Does anyone have any advice on what could be wrong and my proposed 'solutions'. I note I haven't yet considered that the optical in the Amp is the issue, should I?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Ron Hilditch

Hi guys

I have some cambridge audio s30 speakers so finally decided to hook them up to my LG TV (LG 55UK6950PLB Product Support :Manuals, Warranty & More | LG U.K.). I bought this amp as wanted to connect with toslink and have the ability to play music via phone bluetooth:

AMP-2 DG Stereo Hi-fi Amplifier

Bluetooth works well from phone and tv (although picture and sound a little out of sync) but having an issue with using optical from TV. Checked all settings on the TV but optical didn't work at all so I bought a different toslink cable which worked for a few minutes before it started crackling when I moved the amp a few centimetres and has been silent ever since. I checked the cable with the red 'light' coming out of the other end when TV output is selected as optical, and also switched the cable around to check the same thing/

So i am stumped with this, I have seen other threads (here and elsewhere) about people having issues with LG and amps. There is no analogue output on the TV so am looking to either use HDMI with an adapter to RCA. My question is, is this even possible as the adapters I have seen are marketed to connect old DVD players and similar to new TVs. Also looking at getting a DAC using toslink from TV to adapter then connect RCA to the amp.

Does anyone have any advice on what could be wrong and my proposed 'solutions'. I note I haven't yet considered that the optical in the Amp is the issue, should I?

Thanks!
Older DVD players usually have a DVI output socket, there's one on my Denon A11. Bought a DVI to HDMI adaptor from Amazon , works OK.

JobsonH

Novice Member
Older DVD players usually have a DVI output socket, there's one on my Denon A11. Bought a DVI to HDMI adaptor from Amazon , works OK.

Thanks for your response, but the issue is around sound from the TV not coming through via the optical wire and amp. No dvd player involved at all.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom