1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amp & Surround Sound Processor or New Amp??

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by funbus, Jan 4, 2005.

1. funbus

funbus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I currently have an Arcam A65 amp but want to upgrade to a surround sound system...

I'm a bit concerned about the stereo quality I might loose if I upgrade to home cinema amplifier. Would I retain that quality if I used a processor in-line with my Acram?

Considering I've only got about £300 to spend do you think it would be worth selling the amp and buying a home cinema one (I'm looking at the Cambridge Azur 540)??

Cheers for any advise...

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    How important is stereo for you as you'd have to get a pretty good AV amp that will do stereo as good as the A65 so you may be better off going for the processor.

I've never used one so I can't offer any recommendations although I believe that Yamaha do a processor that a number of forum members use.

John

3. pm1961

pm1961
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hello from a newbie.........

I've come across from a stereo perspective where I've used a Linn/Naim setup for years.

There seems to be a real hole in the market for low/medium cost processors (say sub £1k).

My solution (4 years ago) was to get a well regarded budget Sony AV amp but use the pre-out for the front stereo pair, thereby retaining whatever stereo amp you are comfortable with.

I've since gone on to use all the pre-outs to full Naim amplification, so now a large box sits there doing only the processing. But, it owes me nothing and does the job.

My further question would be; how much do you need to spend to better just the processing alone of these budget AV amps?

Cheers,

Paul