Quantcast

Amp Suggestions?

DustinVan

Novice Member
Good morning. I’ve recently purchased KEF R11 towers, r2c center, ci200 rears, pb3000 subs and an Arcam 390 receiver. Any suggestions for an amp?

gibbsy

Welcome to the Forum.

Some more information is needed. What is the amp needed for? Are you talking about a power amp or an integrated stereo amp with HT by-pass for music?

The Arcam is a good receiver in it's own right but it's output will depend on the size of the room your KEFs are in. The R Series do like a good current supply to perform at their best and in that respect the Arcam may just be a little shy on power depending on room size. In that respect a diagram of your room with dimensions will also help members to help you.

DustinVan

Novice Member
Welcome to the Forum.

Some more information is needed. What is the amp needed for? Are you talking about a power amp or an integrated stereo amp with HT by-pass for music?

The Arcam is a good receiver in it's own right but it's output will depend on the size of the room your KEFs are in. The R Series do like a good current supply to perform at their best and in that respect the Arcam may just be a little shy on power depending on room size. In that respect a diagram of your room with dimensions will also help members to help you.
Thank you. Unfortunately, I know very little about all of this. I’m wanting to get the best sound and loudness to match the capabilities of the pb3000s for movies and music while not overworking the receiver.The Magnolia Center team seems to think it will be fine without an amp, but I don’t want to get stuck wishing I had just added one in the beginning. It’s an open floor plan, approximately 40’x30’ to the walls. The sitting area is about 16’x22’ and the ceiling is vaulted going from 8’ at the wall to about 14’ in the center of the room.

Rambles

Distinguished Member
As you are in the US you can take advantage of Emotiva's sale or return options on power amps. Try one out and see if it sounds better than using the internal amps on the AVR390, if not, send it back.

Bfonseca

Novice Member
@DustinVan did you end up buying a separate amp? If so please let us know.
I recently got the same main speakers as you and my room, ceiling and dimensions are very similar to yours. Wondering what route you took and how it all sounds?

Thanks!

DustinVan

Novice Member
@DustinVan did you end up buying a separate amp? If so please let us know.
I recently got the same main speakers as you and my room, ceiling and dimensions are very similar to yours. Wondering what route you took and how it all sounds?

Thanks!
Bfonseca, I ended up going with the McIntosh MC207 and it was finally all installed last night. I can’t turn it up until they break in and it still needs to be tuned with Dirac, but I am very pleased already. The clarity is superb!

Bfonseca

Novice Member
@DustinVan that's a great choice! Let us know how it sounds!
I have a friend offering me a McIntosh MC8207 (for $2k) which is theoretically the same but with digital meters instead.

I'm currently running my system through a yamaha tsr-7810 with full preouts to a Marantz MM8077 amp so I'm not sure what real benefit I'd get from upgrading the amp.

Top Bottom