Amp suggestions

DaddySpice

Novice Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on getting the Elac debut B6 speakers. I've been looking at them for a while now. Seeing as I don't know much about the details and specs of hifi systems I was wonder what amp some of you would suggest for around $100. Under 100 would be even better. Thank you

Are you in the USA (Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, Singapore, ...)?

$100 or less is going to be difficult, and any amp the low priced is not going to be worth y of the ELAC B6.

If I assume you are in the USA, then this is probably the best amp you can get at anywhere near your small budget -

Yamaha R-S202 Reciever with Bluetooth - $150 -

Yamaha R-S202 Stereo receiver with Bluetooth® at Crutchfield.com

However, you can get a B-Stock model for about $100 from Accessories4less -

Yamaha R-S202 Receiver with Bluetooth - $99 -

YAMAHA R-S202 2-Ch x 100 Watts Natural Sound Stereo Receiver

Now if you could explain your circumstances, and how the system will be used, we might be able to refine our recommendations to fit your situation more specifically.

Steve/bluewizard

With a quoted sensitivity of 87dB, while not the hardest to drive they're not exactly forgiving and I'd suggest a beer budget for an amp would prove a false economy with those speakers at three times the cost. While the general rule is spend more on speakers at this end of the spectrum there's little point in spending that much on speakers if you cannot adequately drive them. You should be able to find and old NAD, Rotel, Sony etc with a bit of power around your budget if you don't mind going for something with a bit of age.

+1

You will need stands to put the speakers on too. I would go 2nd hand. Look for older models of amps and speakers that have since been superceded. Possibly B-stock items too.

Assuming you have a budget of $400. These are all items in the UK, you should get more choice in the US:

NAD 326 BEE Integrated Amp - £225 (open to Best Offer)
Monitor Audio BX2 Speakers - £140 (Buy Now for £200)

Same some money for stands + cables and you're done. Assuming you have a CD player or something to use a source?

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
You'd be better off buying the Elacs and slumming it in the amp debt for a while. The speakers are indeed the most important part of any hifi.

NAD C 320BEE amplifier Hi-Fi separate Integrated amp | eBay

Cambridge Audio AZUR 640A Stereo Amplifier Audiophile HiFi black phono stage | eBay

cambridge audio Azur 350A Amplifier | eBay

NAD C320BEE Stereo Integrated Amplifier Amp Silver - Upgraded Quality Jumper Set | eBay

Retro Marantz PM6010 OSE Integrated Amplifier With Remote - 11 | eBay

It seems you're not in the UK but the above amps give you some idea of what's about for your budget. All of them will make a good amp for the Elacs.

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
The Yamaha RS202, while obviously not the best amp given the price, is still a good amp, and it has 100w/ch (sort of) -

R-S202 - Stereo Receivers - Hi-Fi Components - Audio & Visual - Products - Yamaha United States

To get that much for that little, some compromises had to be made, but with a $100 budget, there is a limit to what you can do.

Also, note that the Yamaha RS202 has Bluetooth, so you can likely transmit music directly from your smart phone.

Just to give you some perspective, here is the standard Yamaha RS300, 50w/ch, Receiver ($279) -

R-S300 - Stereo Receivers - Hi-Fi Components - Audio & Visual - Products - Yamaha United States

Accessories4less does have this model in B-Stock for $180 -

YAMAHA R-S300 2-Ch x 50 Watts Natural Sound Stereo Receiver

Yes, you can consider Used equipment, but that works best if you know what you are doing, and have sufficient knowledge of equipment to determine what are the best amps to consider.

Since you haven't responded, and given us your location, there isn't much we can say beyond what we have said. All the products mentioned are pretty much available around the world, though prices might vary.

Steve/bluewizard

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom