• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Amp suggestions

canwr

Standard Member
Hi. I have B&W 685 (front) and 686 (rear) speakers and am looking to upgrade my amplifier.I'm looking for one with 4 hdmi inputs ideally to cater for tv,blueray, xbox and sky+hd, and something that would bring the best out of these speakers. My budget is £400 -£500max. Any suggestions welcome as I'm very new to all this! Many thanks

safcalibur

Distinguished Member
Hi mate,

I've got links below to four recievers that would fit the bill. All have 4 HDMI inputs (onkyo has 6!) and are capable of decoding HD audio.

Tbh i'm not too familiar with B&W speakers. I did a bit of research and it looks like there isnt a consensus as to whether these are considered 'bright' or 'warm' speakers. A few places seem to say that the B&W signature sound is bright so it would pair well with a warm amp like the yamaha or the denon. Some say that there are obvious differences from one range to the next and the 685 is considered warm so you would be better off pairing it with a bright amp like the sony or onkyo.

Yamaha 1065

Yamaha RXV1065 Black | AV Receiver With HDMI Interface | Richer Sounds

Sony STRDA2400ES

Sony STRDA2400ES Black | AV Receiver With HDMI Interface | Richer Sounds

Denon 1910

Denon AVR1910 Black | AV Receiver With HDMI Interface | Richer Sounds

Onkyo 607

Onkyo TXSR607 Black | AV Receiver With HDMI Interface | Richer Sounds

Best advice would be to get a demo in and then you can decide for yourself or if someone with more knowledge on B&W pops by, maybe they can advise further.

Sorry couldnt be of more help

Cheers

Saf

SteveCritten

Distinguished Member
Don't mean to be pedantic, but I am learning all the time too as relatively new to AV. It is just that the list you have is 3 inputs (sky, blu ray and xbox) and the TV will be an output. It probably wont matter too much but may affect your decision.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom