Amp & speakers with Cambridge 640C choices

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by jackswan, Dec 27, 2006.

1. jackswan

jackswan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi
    Recently bought a Cambridge Azur 640A V2 CD player and what a difference to my current system. Took some time to run in, but since then, very happy with it.

It has since rekindled my enjoyment of music and I'm starting to get the bug to improve the sound further.
    Present system comprises of
    Denon PMA-350 Amp
    Mission 763 floorstanding speakers
    Systemdek 2x900 turntable with Rega RB250 arm and Goldring 1012 m/magnet cartridge
    These are all 16 years old, due to the last upgrade I did.
    Cambridge Audio Azur 640C CD player

I am thinking of upgrading the amp and speakers, but will obviously be using both source components.
    Probably use the turntable as much as the CD player as I have a large vinyl collection, so the new components will have to match this as well. I am wondering if the Cambridge Audio 640P pre amp would make a great difference to this turntable for it's price of £60?

Looking to spend approx. £500-£600 in total for the amp and speakers, new or secondhand, not really fussed.

Music I enjoy is mainly rock, and some pop, such as Queen, Free, Madonna, Dido.

The room where the present system is located has a suspended timber floor with heavy curtains, which I think does cause some problems as the bass does sound muddled and does not feel quite deep enough.

Any suggestions please?

2. jackswan

jackswan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Someone must be able to offer suggestions, pleeeeeeeease:lease:

3. Adam Shaw

Adam Shaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    I would change the amp first, I never found the pma350 to be very tight or exiting, a new amp shopuld give you a better response from the speakers you have at present.
    I am, of course, biased, but the most suitable match for the cd player is the 640Av2

4. jackswan

jackswan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My thoughts exactly about the denon amp. I remember when i bought it, it was touted as almost as good as the Pioneer A400. But then again it has lasted well for 16 years, so cannot complain.
    I was originally thinking along the lines of the Cambridge 640a amp, but would something better for the same price second hand be better? It might have to last for another 16 years. Or would a better amp expose the Cambridge CD player too much? I think that the turntable would not be a problem matched with something else as the phono stage in the Denon, seems rather poor.

Julian

5. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,926
    As well as the 640A- we at CA have also been quite impressed with the Marantz PM7001 and (if you can find one) the Atoll AM50 which are both about the same price. Second hand, the world is your oyster but look out for misuse and remember the older something is, the more likely that a more significant service/repair might be on the cards. I'd look at a two year old £5-600 amp than a six year old £1000+ one in other words.