1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amp + Speakers - Getting it right?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by weyland-yutani, Aug 15, 2003.

1. weyland-yutani

weyland-yutani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    So I have my amp now I need my speakers. Reading the manual it advises me to make sure that my speakers match my amp, tonaly(sp). I'm completely new to h/c so can anyone tell me the formular for matching amp to speakers? I mean which specific bit of info do I need from my amp and which specific bit of info do I need to match that with from my speakers.

Any info would be appreciated, thanks
    :D

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thats like asking how to cook an egg! :D

There is no magic formula..... you can follow general dieas like not matching bright speakers to a bright amp, or not matching a warm amp with warm speakers..... but i think that is as good as you can do. Beyond that, you just need a lot of experience..... more than most of us have..... hence tell us all what your speakers are and between us we can come up with some suggestions! :D

Ad

3. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What he said

4. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    What amp have you got and the sources you wish to use (dvd, cdp)?
    Are we talking AV , music or both?
    Budget?
    Size of room the speakers will be going in.
    Do they need to be wife freindly?
    What type of sound do you like (relaxed? forward? bright?)

give us some clues and we'll be able to give you a few pointers.

5. weyland-yutani

weyland-yutani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    I thought you had to match "Ohms and impedence" and all that guff?

what is a bright/forward sound? this is my first set-up so it's budget all the way, baby:( i just bought a yamaha htr5540 and i'm scared to even take it out the box, i read a bit of the manual and got scared:blush: my front room is not v.big about 14'x12' and the tv is in the corner(is that bad?) and seating is about 6-7' directly in front of tv. i suppose its just for movies, i don't really listen to a lot of music and i'm certainly no audiofile. but it would be nice to add a cd player at some point. no wife:smashin: i don't like harsh sounds but i do like rich/deep sounds, detail but nothing in yer face, i suppose. i know i won't get a great system on a budget but anything pointing towards my tastes is ok.

well, that's it i suppose. thanks for the advice and i'll check back to see if you have any more help.:hiya:

6. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well you have to make sure you dont have too low impedence speakers for your amp, but most of the time the popular speakers will all be ok in this sense.

A bright sound would be that 'in yer face' sound you describe..... so it sounds like you want a bit of warmth in your low end without exagerated treble. What is your budget?

Dont worry about it all thought, nothing to be scared of, its all fun! I promise!

Ad

7. adesonic

adesonic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try Eltax Linear response 8.6 and the b^ rears, they are regarded as budget speakers but they do get pretty reasonable reviews. They are rated at4-8 ohms, so should match many amps on the market - look nice too

8. luv ya jen

luv ya jen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i remember when hc was fun

9. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
  10. Bascombe

Bascombe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Wey, i know what you mean about the fear. Wait till you get the amp hooked up and are changing input modes - you get a hefty clicking noise, everytime I hear it I think somethings going to break! and when it comes to hooking it all together, I'd make sure you've got an entire evening free, so you can take your time - even when its all unpacked and wired up, it'll take a while to get it tweeked to your liking. Its all worth it tho - recently watched lotr, and the whole thing took on a much more epic scale. Great fun!!

For the record, your room sounds a similar size to the one I've got mine set up in. And my tv is also in a corner. I guess it aint ideal (were I not sharing someone elses flat, there'd be some heavy duty furniture rearranging going on, I can tell you.......;) ), but it's fine. The tv is in a corner at the end of the room, with the sofa against the opposite long wall, so I've got the fronts 2 or 3 ft either side of the tv, and the rears at each end of the sofa. I'm sure it'd sound better with a different arrangement, but needs must :). Whatever speaker set you go for, you're in for a treat!

Cheers,

Bas