• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Amp+speakers for a budget setup please?

Mark300ZX

Standard Member
Sorry to contaminate this section with my budget setup, but I am after some noobie advice about a suitable amp+speakers for this setup?

Hannspree 37 inch lcd has HDMI in
TIVO Hard Drive recorder, no HDMI only scart and composite output
Wharfedale Set top box hdmi + scart out
Xbox 360 with HD DVD drive

To complicate matters the TV only plays sound through the tv speakers when input is from an HDMI lead, but plays sound through existing surround sound when feed is from a scart!

Mark300ZX

Standard Member
Something like this would be a good start. It really depends on your budget.

Many thanks, I suppose around 300 would be my maximum, but my arm could be twisted for a bargain. My main concern is that the setup I buy would have to be compatible with the setup I have, some of it being old technology these days?

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Any amp will be compatible audio wise as they have digital audio (optical/digi-coax and on newer amps HDMI) and analogue audio connections. It's only when you throw video connectivity into the mix that you can get stumped e.g. most amps don't have SCART or VGA inputs, so they usually have to be converted to connected direct to the TV. I don't see any forsee any problems with your setup.

Mark300ZX

Standard Member
Any amp will be compatible audio wise as they have digital audio (optical/digi-coax and on newer amps HDMI) and analogue audio connections. It's only when you throw video connectivity into the mix that you can get stumped e.g. most amps don't have SCART or VGA inputs, so they usually have to be converted to connected direct to the TV. I don't see any forsee any problems with your setup.

Thanks, the only problem is that my tv does not give sound out on a hdmi input?

rhino2k

Distinguished Member
the amp will deal with the sounds, your tv will be able to output audio on the hdmi im sure, even if it didnt you can use optical to get the sound to your amp:thumbsup:

your main trouble is budget, you are going to be looking at some very cheap speakers, if you are wanting a hdmi amp. Personally i would get a decent hdmi amp then speakers, the onkyo 605 is around your budget new if you can find one:thumbsup:

Mark300ZX

Standard Member
Again please scuse my noobility :), fraid it is one of the foybles of the hannspree tv, there is defo no sound output from a hdmi input :(.

Optical input to the amp, how would I get that if I have no optical output?

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Although HDMI can be bi-directional, it isn't at present. To get TV audio you will need to connect up an audio cable. I am not familiar with your TV and presumably you have checked it has no optical (I didn't think it would TBH) but it probably has analogue (RCA phono) outputs which are red/white. Look for a circle with an arrow pointing outwards (signifying output).

rhino2k

Distinguished Member
as above really, it will have some form of audio output:)

i just assumed it would output audio being a tv, alough i only use panels so wouldnt know tbh lol

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
Again please scuse my noobility :), fraid it is one of the foybles of the hannspree tv, there is defo no sound output from a hdmi input :(.

Optical input to the amp, how would I get that if I have no optical output?

The HDMI source goes to the amplifier which takes off the audio and then passes the HDMI on to the TV.

Mark300ZX

Standard Member
I know you think it must have audio output,I did, but it even states in the manual that is doesn't give sound out when the input is HDMI:(

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom