1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amp + Speakers for 3 Grand?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Dougie Styles, Aug 14, 2003.

1. Dougie Styles

Dougie Styles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all:)

I am looking for recommendations for an amp and speakers for about three thousand pounds.
    I do not need a sub and I am looking at 7.1 or 5.1 options.

Many thanks for looking.

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I recommend that you do need a sub.... :p well unless you have one..... in which case what have you got?

Ad

3. Dougie Styles

Dougie Styles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Paradigm Servo - 15, which I would really like to keep.

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No you wouldnt..... its awful, i'll give you £100 ;) :D I can see why you dont need one!

Have you done a search on here yet? Any ideas of what sort of gear you like? Denon, yamaha, pioneer? Or how about a rotel pre pro set up? Speakers..... does size count? How about the anthony gallos? Or if size isnt an issue, how about M&K?

Ad

5. Dougie Styles

Dougie Styles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I appreciate the help buns:)

I have owned Denon, Pioneer and Yamaha amps and of those I think the Pioneer sounded the best. I am tempted to try the pre/power route but I have no knowledge of products/prices.

As for speakers, size/shape/beauty do not matter at all. I am looking for the best quality for price.

I am happy with the Paradigm at the moment and would prefer to make a decision on whether to change it after I have upgraded amp and speakers.

I have done a search, but am none the wiser:confused:

6. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok well........ I think the paradigm is plenty good enough (well it better be cos im getting one!). By the sounds of it you need to head up well past a couple of grand for good improvements.

Anyhow, I would go looking at pre/pro and power amp set up. For power amps id almost certainly want a rotel 1075 power amp. This is only 5 channel though. For processor i would think more carefully. If you had to have new, i would look at one of the rotel processors..... the 1066 is probably going to be available reduced since it is being replaced i think. Or perhaps the newest model but this would take you up towards £2k spent and no speakers. If you were willing to consider that sort of split, i would be more tempted to look for a bargain on tag mclaren av30 or 32 machines combined with the rotel 1075.

Speakers wise.... im not well up in this area because i havent bought for a long time now. There are so many options..... one avenue i would investigate would be pro type monitor speakers from the likes of genelec. I think Uncle Eric mentioned some he had come across that he really liked but i dont recall exactly. I think one of the options was powered (so you would need no power amp) and at about £500 a pair..... Sorry i cant help more in this area.

Ad

7. Craig Sowerby

Craig Sowerby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi,

Try these, Rotel RSP 1066 processor with RMB1075 power amp,
    M&K K17 LCR and K4 Tripole surrounds which are all available in
    titanium finish, connect it up with chord carnival speaker cable @ £2.99 p/m and chord interconnects from £28.00 p/1m pair.

This might push your budget a little but it will be well worth it!!

Set up correctly this combination sounds fantastic for the price.

Good luck!!

8. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
  9. Dougie Styles

Dougie Styles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I had seen these speakers, but I know nothing about them. Most people seem to recommend M&K.

10. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Hmmmmmmmmmm....................

M&K is but one of a variety of good speakers.

Have you tried any yourself?

I ask as I have a feeling that you're going to need a lot of work.:)

11. Dougie Styles

Dougie Styles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, I havent heard any.

I am going for a few demos over the next week or so, but whenever I have demo'd stuff in the past, it has all sounded great.
    To get a real idea of what I prefer, I am sure I would need to hear stuff in my own home, over a period of weeks. So the easiest thing to do is spend loads of money, then convince myself it sounds great.:rolleyes:

12. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    The best pointer for speaker advice would be the sticky post on the speakers section about what people own.

Personally I love KEF Ref speakers. So open and powerful with lots of clear detail. Great 2nd hand buy on here, EBay and elsewhere.

With £3K in your pocket the choice is vast.

A bit over what you're looking at, but I really liked the sound of passive ATC speakers on the end of Naim AV kit. Very nice indeed, but pricey.

You can achieve that sort of thing by coming down the ladder to say an ATC 5.1 'pack' at £2K I believe with a good integrated amp.

I use a Primare SPA20 integrated as my proc. which is £2K new, but available for much less if you look around. I love it and it's fully loaded, up to date and sounds good.

Or take advantage of the Tag sell off for a good proc, stick it on the end of a Rotel power amp and stretch your budget to get some speakers in there too.

You're really going to need a good dealer. So much choice.

You lucky sod.:D

13. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44