Amp + Speakers + Cable for ~£600. Will pay for best advice!

googlebox99

Novice Member
I have:

Toshiba 37WLT66
PS3
Xbox360 Elite
Wii

At the moment I have no speaker system and am looking to get something for around £500-600.

From what I understand, most "HDMI-enabled" amps actually only pass-through video. Ideally I would like something that enables me to utilise the HDMI sound capabilites of the PS3. However, I am not sure which amps do this or if it is possible to get a decent setup for £600. I am not looking to spend more than this. (I do realise the Onkyo 605 would be a good entry-level choice for true HD sound, but what about speakers and cables to compliment this?)

If it's not possible, then I would appreciate some suggestions for either seperates or a package that gives respectible sound over optical for both the PS3 and Xbox.

I would like the £600 to include the amp, speakers and cabling - everything I need to get things set up.

Thank you for your help!

googlebox99

Novice Member
Having read a lot of forum opinions and reviews, I've decided to go with:

Onkyo 605 amp (£340)
Jamo A102 speakers with cable (£220)
= £560

Will see how it sounds in a few days...

P

plok

I also would be interested to hear how you get on with this and where you ordered from?

Ashish

Novice Member
thanks for the info googlebox, let us know how it all sounds and the quality of the speakers with music/dvds/tv and gaming. i am still trying to figure out which speakers i want to get with the onkyo.

Thanks
Ash

rob_brum

I ordered the amp from www.onkyo-now.co.uk - £399 but free delivery and guarenteed next day.

Did you order it in silver? if so they don't have any stock..ive been waiting for mine for nearly 2 weeks...i cancelled my order with them today and have ordered it from avsales at £350 so im saving money as well, should get it tomorrow :)

itn

Im in simler situation.

i ordered the Onkyo 605 in silver from Hifix for 340, and ive just ordered the canton cd102 for 290, a bit over your budget by 30 quid but some cracking speakers.

BOOMERANGBUBB

Just to let you guys know that your local Audio-T has a 10% sale on... you can walk away with the Onkyo 605 for £360 and if you are after more equipment you make further savings :smashin:

Just thought I'd let you know. + in my experience, you get great customer service! which is always a great bonus :thumbsup:

Take it easy
Keir

N

Nick16vt

Hey, is there any news on how the Onkyo performed with the different speaker systems?? I'm looking to buy the Onkyo, but struggling to choose the speakers!!

Cheers,

Nick

googlebox99

Novice Member
Hey, is there any news on how the Onkyo performed with the different speaker systems?? I'm looking to buy the Onkyo, but struggling to choose the speakers!!

Cheers,

Nick

Well, I have no basis for reference, but I have the Jamo a102s set up now and watched a few Blu Rays over TrueHD sound last night...have to say it sounds fantastic. Assassins Creed on Xbox was a huge improvement on my previous stereo setup.

There is a lot of scope for fiddling with EQ, levels and the suchlike which I will play with over the next few weeks.

I am extremely happy either way.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips TV Launch Event, Soundbar vs AVR, Samsung EzCAL and more...
Top Bottom