Amp / Speakers Advice for someone with hearing difficulties

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by eric pisch, Dec 28, 2006.

1. eric pisch

eric pisch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +754
    Hi

I need some advice about amp/speakers for my HDTV, my wife wears a hearing aid and currently on many of the HDTV films / programmes she can not make out the vocals as they seam to blend into music/effects etc

I currently have

Sony Bravia 40" KDL-40W2000U
    Denon 1930 Upscaling DVD player
    SKY HD

I plan to get a HD DVD player once the blu-ray/HD war is sorted out

I also have unconnected

Yamaha DSP-A595A DTS amp
    2 B&W DM601
    2 Tannoy 631SE

I have a budget of £500 for amp and speakers. Im not that bothered by surround speakers and side speakers since my wife cant hear them and she forbids me to have wires around the walls :p

I also now live in a terraced house so i cant have alot of bass since it travels.

So i guess im after some sort of compromise, getting a resonable DTS sound for me and a clear high fidelity vocal for my wife at the TV source. In black preferablly.

Thanks

2. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    to be honest, the main thing you need is a dedicated centre speaker...

then almost all the vocals will come from that, plus some of the effects, but most of the effects will be the front left and right speakers (with some from the rears on DD5.1/DTS 5.1 tracks)......

then what you do is use an SPL meter to set the system up so each channel reads 75db on the meter using the Test Tone noise generator that most amps have built in (or at least modern amps will, if not use a THX badged DVD disc like Star Wars or similar which has a setup thing you can use for the same end).....then play a film and experiment with your wife by turning the centre speaker up a few notches or the front left/right down a few notches.....hopefully then she can watch films and hear mostly the vocals :thumbsup:

i'd recommend Monitor Audio RSLCR centre speaker as a good option for outright clarity at a reasonable price, it isnt the smallest of speakers but its brilliant with vocals.......

some amps let you have just three speakers connected and will downmix DD5.1/DTS 5.1 signals to 3.0 surround, you simply turn off the sub and the rear speakers in the setup menu....

i'd advise to find a suitable amp you pop to a shop for a demo that does various amps and tell them to try and get them to set up the amps in this 3.0 method :)

i dont know which of the current models might let you do this sorry...

3. eric23

eric23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does your wife usually use a loop to watch TV? I know everyone's hearing is different, but my mother in law swears by the hearing loop she has by the TV. The microphone could be positioned nearer to your centre speaker. Only problem is the wire, but bell wire is perfectly suitable for use with a loop, and can usually be concealed quite easily around the room.

4. eric pisch

eric pisch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +754
    no she has a directional digital hearing aid, which for most things works really well, its just some programmes and it seams to be mainly films (and Hogfather which she couldnt make out any vocals) which i assume are in Dolby seam to "blur" all the sounds togethor on the standard TV Speakers

the centre speaker idea seams to be a good idea, i have never "balanced" speakers before but this idea would seam to offer a good solution

5. eric pisch

eric pisch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +754

i took your advice kinda, i got a Monitor Audio Bronze Centre (i was worried the silver would dominate my exsisting speakers and full set of silver is not an option) and a pair of proper stands for the B&W 601s and the diffence was huge, my wife can now hear 95% of all the vocals with ease

infact she was so impressed shes let me rearrange the furniture so i can have a proper 7.1 system !!!

I have got a yama DSP 759SE (supports 6ohm speakers and has a mic) and MA B2s for the front, BFXs for the side and B1s for the rear.

Not an audiophile setup for sure but heaven compared to what i have been allowed in the past :clap: :clap: :clap:

6. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    good stuff :thumbsup: