1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amp / Speakers £1000!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by p3rfect, Dec 6, 2004.

1. p3rfect

p3rfect
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks I could do with some advice before I pull out my hair !!!

Basically, as the title suggests I am after an amp and a pair of speakers within a budget of about a £grand... I'm into my home djing and have a pair of technics 1210's, mixer etc. I play mainly house (funky through to harder stuff including trance), so I am after good tight bass that will annoy the neighbours and as much detail and sound stage as possible (trying to use the hifi lingo here!). I'm aware that a lot of dj's use monitors as hifi speakers generally colour the sound, but I'm a bit concerned monitors will sound flat and I quite like the idea of warming up the sound and making it my own. I'm not a producer so studio accuracy isn't essential!!

I suppose I have been looking at the typical set up's B&W's and Wharfdale Evo's as looks are a big factor in my desicion as well as the sound. But I don't know if these would be suitable for what I want. Also, unsure to get floorstanders versus bookshelfves + stands... Amp-wise I was looking at Arcam (A65?), purely as every review seems to be great, I know the name and they look great. Again dunno if this will be good for my sort of music, and things like phono stages are all a bit beyond me!!

What would you suggest!?

I actually already own a NAD C370 and a pair of Mission M74's which are currently in my living room. I did concider hooking these up to the decks and splashing out on an AV amp + speaker package, but I'm feeling inclined to upgrade my stereo system, sell my nad and mission's and then later invest in some av equipment... Do you think I am justified in spending a grand on a new system for djing or would the nad / mission combo give me the same kind of performace. Would I be wasting my money in other words lol !!

Thanks in advance peeps :D

2. p3rfect

p3rfect
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nobody? Is this in the right section?

3. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The most impressive thing i've heard that should fit in your budget would be Exposure's 2010 amp (Intergrated if you are using stuff without mixer or power amp will be fine if all you need to connect is the mixer) and it's worth checking out Wharfedales KH2210 if you can find them if not then their XR5000 should do and will probably be available for a fraction of RRP.
    The Exposure amp gives a very agressive but detailed sound well above it's power rating. (Int £600, Power £500).

4. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Roksan Kandy Amp and Quad 21L speakers. Lots of power and a nice upfront sound from the Kandy (a different class from your NAD); great sound, plenty of bass and gorgeous looks from the Quads. :smashin:

5. p3rfect

p3rfect
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so i actually just need a power amp then?

6. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi P3rfect,
    I have a friend who uses Monitor Audio S6's as a 'budget' monitor. He's in a similar situation to you as far as I can tell.
    As for the amp, to second Bobbypunk an integrated Exposure 2010 would be just what your looking for I'd imagine. Of course a second hand 3010 would just be outstanding.
    If you went for just the power amp you would need to buy a Pre amp (to control the volume, balance etc) a power amp has no controls. It may be possible to use the NAD as a Pre amp but I'm not familiar with it so I have no idea how it would sound or if it would be possible.
    Others too look for would be Naim and probably Arcam. Tannoy and PMC would be worth considering in the speaker market as these are both fairly neutral sounding speakers.
    Of course in saying all this a lot will depend on what your using as a source. There won't be a huge amount to be gained in investing heavily in Amps and speakers if your source isn't up to the job.
    HTH

7. p3rfect

p3rfect
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks nightshade. I think Bobbypunk is saying the mixer itself is a preamp? It has volume controls, gain etc. and integrates between the turntables and the amp. The mixer I have is this (http://www.decks.co.uk/products/mixers/pioneer/djm500) and cost me about £500.00. The source is vinyl and the technics 1210's are industry standard dj gear, perhaps not audiophile quality...

A few people have told me to keep my NAD and bang on a nice pair of speakers, such as the B&W 704's. Touch over budget but I could be convinced. Not sure wether I need floorstanders or standmounts either as my music room is 10ft x 9ft!

Cheers.

8. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    10ft x 9ft wouldn't really be enough for floorstanders. If you can use the mixer as a pre then the 2010 power would be a good add on. Certainly in a different league to your NAD.

9. p3rfect

p3rfect
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's an Exposure 2010 Integrated Amplifier on ebay at £225.00, I will keep watching to see what happens. I have also spotted an ARCAM DIVA P90 Power amp on there, currently £380.00... How does that compare? It seems logical to go for a power amp as I am therefore not paying for what I don't need, i.e. the pre amp... as long as the mixer is up to the job! But for £500.00 quid I'd expect the mixer to be fairly accomodating.

Floorstanders are a big nono then? Assuming I spend £500 on an amp, that would leave me £500 on speakers, although this isnt set in stone. What would you recommend in the standmount world?

10. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    PMC DB1, Quad 12l, second hand Monitor Audio GR10, Possible Linn Katan.
    Attacama Stands.

11. p3rfect

p3rfect
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm bidding for a ARCAM DIVA P90 Power amp on ebay at the moment, but I have just noticed it is 3 channel?! Are there 2 and 3 channel p90's? Is a 3 channel going to be a bad idea for my requirements, or is the Arcam just totlly unsuitable!? I'm at £390.00 and the reserve has been met, 1 day left! Let me know!

12. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you would just have an unused channel so would lose nothing!
    Anything speaker wise from the Quad stable will be a good choice.

13. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +277
    Depends on the floorstanders... compact transmission lines like Rega Ela's would be fine in such a room, thats what I use in my bedroom and they sound excellent with dance music :thumbsup:

I do wonder if any of the folks recommending Quads have tried them with dance, because to me they werent very good at it :boring:

14. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Depends on your ear, construction of the room and on what you've got behind the speakers. Rega Ela's are a small floor stander though, even then I'm surprised they don't over power the room but if they work for you, who am I to argue? :)

15. p3rfect

p3rfect
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm really edging towards the standmount B&W 705's in maple... going well over budget but hopefully if I can get the Arcam p90 for 400 quid then I'm not too fussed, 24 hours bidding left :p ! Anyone got any views on those speakers?

16. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I've always found B&W speakers to add a little too much to the music. I like a more neutral speaker. They're well made and look nice but just not to my tastes. I've always found the presentation to be a little bit forward. If you're looking to add some warmth to the system then they may well work for you.

17. p3rfect

p3rfect
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thought I would come back to my first post on this board. As you can see from my sig you lot have cost me a fortune! I love it!

18. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    lol, what happened to the budget?

19. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Primare A20 Mk II £350 Amp
    Castle Harlechs/Conways £600
    Proac 125s £650

Would be my port of call if floorstanders are your thing. Otherwise sub + standmounts for £650 - you can buy some very nice stuff in that range.

20. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    B&W NAUTILUS 805 and DYNAUDIO CONTOUR 1.1s - some of my favourite speakers (although it was the 805 sigs I demoed). And all that for a grand!

21. p3rfect

p3rfect
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol I spent more than a grand!! Budget went well and truely out of the window and through the roof, but buying exdem and second hand gave me value for money that I could not pass up ;)

22. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    We gathered that :)

Happens to us all. I seem to have spent 15 grand on av since last summer :eek:

23. p3rfect

p3rfect
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good going! Think my last purchase will be a plasma, PW7 I reckon then try and find time to enjoy the stuff I've bought ;)