Amp & Speaker upgrade sanity check

mfp2gosling1

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I Sky Q installed a couple of months ago and now want to upgrade my Sony STDR2400 so that I can pass 4K through an amp to my tv and projector, so I’m thinking about upgrading to a Denon AVX3600, and at the same time upgrading my Sony speakers to Q Acoustics 3000i series speakers, the cinema pack, does this sound like a good combo?

I’ve got a 7.1 set up just now so the cinema pack won’t give me enough speakers so I was thinking about buying another 6 3010i’s to give me 7.1 and also 4 height speakers, never had height speakers before so am I doing the right thing or wasting my money?

I never listen to music through the amp, it’s purely for movies and tv, SkyQ, Firestick 4k, Netflix, Blu-rays etc.

Is value any advice and opinions on this set up.

Cheers

The Denon X3600 is a good AVR for movies and will get you the upgrade you want. I do not know Q Accoustics speakers but you should know that the 3600 is a 9 channel amp so you can run 5.1.4 if you want 4 height speakers but only 7.1.2 if you go for 7.1. IMO 7.1.2 will be fine unless you want full on Dolby Amtos/DTS:X but then you will need an 11 channel amp, like the X6500.

Last edited:
The X3600 will go very well with the QAs, always a popular combination. The X3600 will support 11 channels but you have to have a power amp to drive those extra two channels giving you a maximum of 7.2.4. Out of the box it will do 5.2.4 or 7.2.2. Good choice of receiver and will see you through speaker upgrades in the future and is future proofed itself. Very easy to set up with a walk you through it wizard and has the better form of room correction with Audyssey XT32.

If I were you I would also keep a close eye on the excellent X4500 as well as prices are getting very close. The X4500 will give you a better processor and more headroom. The X6500 is further up the Denon tier and the QAs would not be such a good match for the amp.

I rate q acoustic speakers highly. Alrhoug the sub isn't very good so give that a miss.

Just be aware of pros and cons of little speakers. IE two channel music playback, frequency response, efficiency, and dB output.

Thanks for the replies guys, I got the Denon and went with the Q Acoustics with 2 subs, enjoying the sound out of the speakers, both music and movies. Went for a 5.2.4 setup.

What Denon did you opt for?

I went for the AVR-X3600, got it in a bundle with the Q Acoustics speakers. I checked on Top Cashback and the place I get it from was offering 4.95% Cashback, so happy days.

Really happy with the sound and picture when watching SkyQ. Not tried it with a blu ray player or projector yet as I’m redecorating the living room to hide the cabling for the new setup.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom